*CENSORED*
If it runs half as good as it looks...

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I went today and bought a rebuild kit for my Q-Jet and put it back together. AutoZone had a Sorenson kit in stock for $17 so that's what I went with. I hear they aren't the greatest kits but it certainly should be better than what was in it. It came with an ethanol resistant accelerator pump cup and spring, new gaskets, plus the other standard stuff. Still need to replace the choke pull offs and the fuel filter. It'll probably need some adjustment, but it should at least be functional now. Considering it was filled with mud and looked like it was sitting at the bottom of a lake, I'm happy with it. Once I get my engine back, we'll see how it runs.

View attachment 99861
View attachment 99860
That, is a nice looking carb. And for reference, here is a pic of an HEI SBB 4 barrel fuel line, if you feel like bending your own. I spliced up a '70 GS350 line my car came with (points distributor lines snake behind) and added a pressure regulator inline. Pic is a rando engine off ebay.
350heifuelline.jpg

looking at it from the front, you could probably snake it back behind the distributor shaft and up through that way, to eliminate as many turns as possible. If you make your own, try and have at least an inch air gap from any metal parts.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
If it runs half as good as it looks...

That, is a nice looking carb. And for reference, here is a pic of an HEI SBB 4 barrel fuel line, if you feel like bending your own. I spliced up a '70 GS350 line my car came with (points distributor lines snake behind) and added a pressure regulator inline. Pic is a rando engine off ebay. Looking at it from the front, you could probably snake it back behind the distributor shaft and up through that way, to eliminate as many turns as possible. If you make your own, try and have at least an inch air gap from any metal parts.

Thanks guys, not bad for my first one. No kidding, this is the first Q-Jet I've ever rebuilt. I usually just swap them for Edelbrocks. They're actually pretty simple, I feel stupid for not fixing them before. This carb was originally a hot air choke and I swapped the electric choke thermostat from my old dualjet onto it, but I think that choke may be a dud. I hooked up 12v to it and it didn't do anything after 15 minutes. It's been a while but I vaguely remember it not working when it was on my V6. So I still need to get the choke pulloffs, a fuel filter and I'll replace the choke thermostat too. Mr. Sony thanks for the fuel line picture, I saved it to my phone, I'm sure I will use it when I start putting this thing back together.

Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
An AFR gauge, while not necessary, will infinitely help you tune the QJET when the time comes. And anything with an ICE to be honest. I plan on getting one very soon. My WOT afr is 10.8, about ~2 points too rich. Hell, i might get this pig to 220hp at the wheels when I change out the secondary rods. I heard somewhere that a .100 fatter rod is worth about .75 of a point, I'll put that to the test soon enough.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
An AFR gauge, while not necessary, will infinitely help you tune the QJET when the time comes. And anything with an ICE to be honest. I plan on getting one very soon. My WOT afr is 10.8, about ~2 points too rich. Hell, i might get this pig to 220hp at the wheels when I change out the secondary rods. I heard somewhere that a .100 fatter rod is worth about .75 of a point, I'll put that to the test soon enough.

Great minds must think alike, I was just looking at AFR gauges on Summit's website. Obviously I don't need one just yet, but I plan on having one when I get to that point. Certainly the carb is gonna need a good bit of tuning, anything to make it easier.

Nov 4, 2012
Lol guess I haven't updated in a bit. I stopped at the machine shop on Friday and Bob the machinist was measuring up the crank so he could get it sent out to be cut, that's the only thing he doesn't do in-house. He had the block and main caps shot peened and looking brand new. Then we spent a half hour or so looking at different piston options. Probably gonna go with the Sealed Power 340P or the Autotec forged pistons. We played around with a compression calculator and either way 10:1 should be no problem.

That's about all for now.

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Standard felpro gaskets are .042, ta sells steel shim .020 gaskets. With the autotec they're pricey but can be custom made, and forged, so they can handle some nitrous if you want. They also come with rings and pins in either the standard buick size or larger, for i think sbc rods, but why destroke a SBB... 340p in a stock non decked engine with the .042 will be about 9.5:1.

Last edited:

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Also, fun fact: a zero deck SBB 350 with flat tops is over 12:1 compression.
So, uh. Don't.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor