Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Hope this helps.
1. A/C harness to main connection
3. Yep
4. If I'm remembering that would plug into the computer harnss
5. The electric choke
6 & 7. I can't view the pics but if 6 is of a green wire with a female conector for a single blade it's for the temp.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
Now I can see them
6 & 7. Yep on both

Thank you, thank you, thank you! It's been three years since I separated this wiring harness from the computer harness and while all the connectors look familiar, I just wasn't certain on some of them. I'm trying to keep the wiring to an absolute minimum for a clean engine bay, I'm not running A/C, at least for now. But I feel a lot better now that I know what these connectors are.

I've been looking at Ford wiring connectors for the past two years on my truck project, I've been out of the loop on GM stuff, just gotta refresh my memory.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
So I think I got a pretty good score today. I saw an intake and carb for sale on Craigslist for $150. Called the guy, he said they were both only a few years old, but he knew nothing about them. They were on his buddy's truck, and they scrapped the truck but kept the intake and carb since they were newer. He wanted $150 firm, so I said decided to take a chance on them. Well the intake manifold is a Summit 226014 and the carb is an Edelbrock 1406. Both are in great shape. The carb looks pretty much new, its nearly spotless inside. He said the electric choke works great. He said they scrapped the truck a month ago and it was running good when they scrapped it, so it hasn't been sitting on a shelf forever. The intake is also super clean, the runners are spotless inside so it can't have been used very much. The outside has a little corrosion on it, but no big deal, I'll paint it. I'll have to file or machine the 4 center bolt holes, but again not a big deal. Also he threw in a chrome Edelbrock air cleaner. I probably won't use it, but it'll work for a while. So I got around $600 worth of parts that I can use for $150, so I'm happy. The next purchase for the car is probably going to be the engine itself or maybe the transmission crossmember.

IMG_20180728_122133666-2672x2004.jpg
IMG_20180728_154357532-2672x2004.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
I'm trying to get myself interested in this project again since I'm gonna be parking the Ford truck for winter soon and even if I wasn't gonna park it, I'm very happy with the truck as it sits; there just isn't much more I want to do to it other than drive it. So I'm gonna need a winter project and the Regal has been on the back burner long enough.

The big things that need done to get this project on the track to completion are-

1. acquire and install engine and trans
2. acquire and install crossmember
3. have exhaust fabbed and installed (I'm gonna have my buddy at meineke do it).
4. acquire and install door panels (not a huge deal but damn those things are getting expensive).

And obviously there's a ton of little things that need to be done as well, but I'm not gonna make a 300 item list for them.

Before I can really start wrenching on the Regal, I need to get an engine for it. I'm still not sure what kind of engine I'm gonna end up with, it's either gonna be a SBC or a Buick 350. The car is currently set up for a Buick 350 since it had a V6 in it, but the changes needed to install a SBC are no big deal. Honestly it's gonna come down to what I can find on Craigslist. I'd be happy either way. Ideally I'm looking for something that has been rebuilt, maybe has a couple performance things done, but mostly stock and is a solid runner.

Unfortunately I just had to drop $400 on my truck that I wasn't expecting and I also just dropped around $500 on a chainsaw that I've been lusting after so I'm gonna have to wait a couple paychecks before I can shop seriously for an engine. I also really want to buy a new Glock 19 but I think I'll put the engine first. My hobbies are constantly fighting over my paycheck.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Before I can really start wrenching on the Regal, I need to get an engine for it. I'm still not sure what kind of engine I'm gonna end up with, it's either gonna be a SBC or a Buick 350. The car is currently set up for a Buick 350 since it had a V6 in it, but the changes needed to install a SBC are no big deal. Honestly it's gonna come down to what I can find on Craigslist. I'd be happy either way. Ideally I'm looking for something that has been rebuilt, maybe has a couple performance things done, but mostly stock and is a solid runner.
I've seen this SBB 350 ($750) on CL locally. https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/d/buick-engine/6674006520.html There is a short block in create in Wexford but the guy wants $1000. As for your exhaust guy, his name wouldn't be Jerry?

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
One advantage a SBC has over a SBB, it's narrower, so you can actually get to the passenger lower valve cover bolt in the engine compartment. Looking forward to seeing more of this, your Regal is such a kickass color. Makes me jealous.

Nov 4, 2012
I've seen this SBB 350 ($750) on CL locally. https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/d/buick-engine/6674006520.html There is a short block in create in Wexford but the guy wants $1000. As for your exhaust guy, his name wouldn't be Jerry?

That short block in Wexford has been listed for a couple years. I think I'd prefer to buy a complete motor though. I'd even consider it if it was a long block. I saw that other one for $750, I think it's a little pricey for a motor that has been sitting for 10 years. There was one in Akron that I just missed that had a older rebuild with some mild performance parts that went for $500. There is one in Buffalo NY for $450 that comes with a TH350 transmission. Bit of a drive, but I could easily get there and back in a day.

My exhaust guy's name is Bob Hollinger. Owns/operates the meineke on Babcock Blvd in Ross. He's kind of a crabby old guy, but he's honest, does really good work and very fair prices. Pretty much my go-to guy for exhaust.

One advantage a SBC has over a SBB, it's narrower, so you can actually get to the passenger lower valve cover bolt in the engine compartment. Looking forward to seeing more of this, your Regal is such a kickass color. Makes me jealous.

Thank ya kindly sir. I hope to be posting more of the Regal soon. Just a matter of switching gears from Ford stuff back to GM. Like I said, I could go SBC or SBB and be equally happy, it's just a matter of what I can find. I'd like to go Buick if I can just because it's already set up for it and it would be marginally less work for me.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
That short block in Wexford has been listed for a couple years. I think I'd prefer to buy a complete motor though. I'd even consider it if it was a long block. I saw that other one for $750, I think it's a little pricey for a motor that has been sitting for 10 years. There was one in Akron that I just missed that had a older rebuild with some mild performance parts that went for $500. There is one in Buffalo NY for $450 that comes with a TH350 transmission. Bit of a drive, but I could easily get there and back in a day.

My exhaust guy's name is Bob Hollinger. Owns/operates the meineke on Babcock Blvd in Ross. He's kind of a crabby old guy, but he's honest, does really good work and very fair prices. Pretty much my go-to guy for exhaust.

Thank ya kindly sir. I hope to be posting more of the Regal soon. Just a matter of switching gears from Ford stuff back to GM. Like I said, I could go SBC or SBB and be equally happy, it's just a matter of what I can find. I'd like to go Buick if I can just because it's already set up for it and it would be marginally less work for me.
...you do still have the '76 buick 350 don't you? All the machine shop needs to do is bore, finish hone, and install cam bearings. I built my SP engine in a weekend after I got it back. Plus, northern auto parts has a screamin deal on a re-ring kit http://www.northernautoparts.com/part/ek-er1066. Gives you an option to buy the intake valley pan as well. With stock heads, if you want about 9.5:1 with the thicker aftermarket gaskets, get the 340p pistons from summit. I spent about 1500 rebuilding my SP engine, although I didn't have to bore it (low mileage engine), and I used the $250 balancer I already had. So, add another $1000-1500 on the cost for pistons, balancer, timing cover, distrubutor (99$ from TA), etc. The ONLY thing you kind of should do, is notch the heater box. You have the later style valve covers, so that allows you slightly more room back there, but it would help. Look at Blake442s 3.8/Th200c to 350 buick swap thread. It also depends on the condition of your body mounts as well.

Edit: I do suggest, not only for you if you go buick, but for anyone, take a file or dremel and remove all the flashing from the lifter valley on any buick engine. Buick was terrible about this. it's one of the few annoyances about Buicks. But after an hour or two of some classic rock and a file, it will be done. I suggest doing it prior to the trip to the machine shop, and shoving a rag underneath to catch most of the chips.

Either way, as said, eager to see the car again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor