BUILD THREAD JRP's '87 Regal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I got a little more done on the car last night. I pulled the old speedometer cable out as well as the old throttle cable. They aren't bad, but removing them allows better access to the firewall and they are cheap parts to replace so I'll get new ones. Is there any reason not to replace the two piece speedo cable with a one piece cable? Getting the two piece one out was a b*tch because the threaded ends were too big to really fit between the body and the frame and that made it hard to slide it out. I had to crush the end of the cable to get it out. That wouldn't be an issue with a one piece since the speedometer end isn't as fat as the threaded transmission end. I'm still deciding what to do with the vapor line. I'm leaning towards capping it off and putting a vented fuel cap on. It's just less work and less money. I can always add it back in later. While I was under the car pulling the speedo cable out, I saw that one of my fuel lines is pinched between the body and frame. It doesn't appear crushed, but I can't pull it out. I'm gonna have to remove the nearest body bolt, lift up the body a bit, and pull the line out and reshape it so it's not getting pinched. And as careful as I am, I keep finding a chip here or there in the paint. It's bound to happen when you are reassembling a freshly painted I guess. I'll get over it eventually.
Should get a few touch up cans made if you still have the recipie.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Are your body bushings original? I'd replace em now and run new lines where needed while you have access.

• Agree
Nov 4, 2012
Should get a few touch up cans made if you still have the recipie.

I have about a pint leftover to use as touch up. I can always buy more if I need to. I'll admit I can be a little dramatic when it comes to paint.
dee428d074b3e5e89fde20c8e49ed927.jpg

My body bushings are new, I have the Energy Suspension polyurethane ones.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Nov 4, 2012
It's been a lot colder the past few days so I haven't been working in the garage but I've got some parts updates. I got my windage tray in the mail, it looks good.

IMG_20190322_174259729-2004x2672.jpg

Also in more exciting news, I got a TA intake! I got a very good deal on it from an awesome member over on V8Buick who lives in Alaska! So it's in the mail, I should be getting it soon.

image2.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 10 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
It's been a lot colder the past few days so I haven't been working in the garage but I've got some parts updates. I got my windage tray in the mail, it looks good.

View attachment 109170

Also in more exciting news, I got a TA intake! I got a very good deal on it from an awesome member over on V8Buick who lives in Alaska! So it's in the mail, I should be getting it soon.

View attachment 109171
Awesome! :D
lol my intake came with a single bolt too, guess they didn't want to take the heater nipple out either. Tip: where the gauge sender fitting is is a good place for a factory style sender. wire reaches, or should at least. gm left more than enough wire on most things (you'll have to extend the HEI hot wire) for some reason. just gotta keep the starter wires away from the manifold, and you're good.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
That's a nice looking intake. Are you going to run a hot air choke? They are hard to beat when they work right.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
That's a nice looking intake. Are you going to run a hot air choke? They are hard to beat when they work right.
Hard to run a hot air choke with no provision on the intake for it :p

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Hard to run a hot air choke with no provision on the intake for it :p
That's not a place for a hot air choke? What is it? EGR block off? Why is there a hole in it?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Looks like it's for one of those bimetallic coil chokes to me. Late 60s vintage.

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012

Thanks Jared! They run close to $500 new once you include shipping and they aren't easy to find secondhand (MrSony can attest to that), so I was really glad I came across this one.

I'll be running an electric choke, I already have the wiring for it. Also I had the heated choke passages in the heads threaded and plugged with pipe plugs to keep heat out of the intake. I'm not driving this during the cold weather, and it'll keep the intake charge cooler... At least in theory.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor