MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
!?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
Sorry, I'm late again :mrgreen: I was at the machine shop yesterday. Bob had a flathead Ford that was a rush job come in last week so he was pretty busy with it. It's finished now, and he's getting back to mine. Mike spent several hours on Tuesday doing some more port work and blending on the heads, and he had one of them set up on the mill ready to go when I stopped yesterday. I couldn't get a great picture of it the way it was set up on the mill so I'll have to get a few next time. The intake ia going to need a little bit of milling to make it fit perfectly, but only a few thousands off each side. Basically once the heads are milled they can be assembled and installed and same thing for the manifold. I'm going to paint it, so once the heads are on, I can mask it up and spray it.

For the car itself, I want to wait until I have the engine back before I start spending money on parts like the steering box and all the new cables and things to clean up the engine bay. It will only take me a day or two to prep and paint the engine bay plus a couple hours to put it back together.

So there's the update, I do apologize for the lack of pictures, I will try to make up for it here soon. Thanks for following along and staying awake during the process!

Reactions: 5 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Neato.
I used my v6 throttle cable, starter, battery cables, heater hoses, with no issue. You should be fine in that respect as well.

What color you going with?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Also your 76 has mildly shorter valve covers than your 72(?). They bolt on. 76 has the oil fill in the middle on the drivers side, 72 has it up front like a Chevy. The breather hole is in the same location. Pcv goes in the intake.

Nov 4, 2012
Neato.
I used my v6 throttle cable, starter, battery cables, heater hoses, with no issue. You should be fine in that respect as well.

What color you going with?

I was going to reuse all the V6 stuff, but it's all pretty old and junky looking, so I'm just gonna replace a bunch of stuff, more for cosmetics than anything else. I figure I'll stay true to the block, since it's a '72 it'll be red. Not sure if I'm gonna spray can it or paint it out of one of my paint guns. I don't really want to use one of my good Devilbiss guns to paint an engine. May be a job for a Harbor Freight gun.

Also your 76 has mildly shorter valve covers than your 72(?). They bolt on. 76 has the oil fill in the middle on the drivers side, 72 has it up front like a Chevy. The breather hole is in the same location. Pcv goes in the intake.

I know one of the sets is taller than the other. My main concern is if they will clear the roller rockers. I have to get them over to the machine show and set them in place to see.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
When I took my heads to get done on the Olds, my builder had me relay to the head guy to "take off the intake side however much it gets decked". I questioned him about it, and his reply was that you don't have to worry about cutting any intakes; it puts everything where it needs to be.
Your guy, Bob, definitely sounds like he knows his sh*t, so I'm not implying anything, just a tech tip. Maybe your intake needed trued up.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
When I took my heads to get done on the Olds, my builder had me relay to the head guy to "take off the intake side however much it gets decked". I questioned him about it, and his reply was that you don't have to worry about cutting any intakes; it puts everything where it needs to be.
Your guy, Bob, definitely sounds like he knows his sh*t, so I'm not implying anything, just a tech tip. Maybe your intake needed trued up.
I picked up a set of 55cc #6 heads. They had the intake side cut as well, so no special intake. Of course maybe the TA intakes are like many Edelbrock intakes, no so straight out of box.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Yep, you guys have the right idea. The intake isn't 100% square. Bob said it is within the margin of error and most guys would probably just run it, but he doesn't want to have to trust a steel gasket to make up for it. The heads will be cut so that any intake will bolt up.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor