BUILD THREAD JRP's '87 Regal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Never heard of putting plugs in the coolant ports for using newer heads on older blocks... Will be interested to see how that turns out.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
You're probably already planning on it, but I would break it in there at his shop using water in case the mismatched coolant ports are an issue. Worse case, you will have to have your 72 heads done up. But i highly doubt it.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Gonna be cool to see this come together. Any rough idea when you'll get it home?

Nov 4, 2012
Gonna be cool to see this come together. Any rough idea when you'll get it home?

I get excited everytime I see it. If I had to guess I'd say it'll probably be ready to start around mid summer, but you guys well know I'm not in a hurry.

I wasn't expecting to drive it this season, I still need to do the transmission and rear anyways. A buddy referred me to a local shop that is going to do the transmission, and I'm leaning toward this Quick Performance 9" for the rear. I wanna take it one thing at a time, so I'll get to those once I've got the engine back.

Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I get excited everytime I see it. If I had to guess I'd say it'll probably be ready to start around mid summer, but you guys well know I'm not in a hurry.

I wasn't expecting to drive it this season, I still need to do the transmission and rear anyways. A buddy referred me to a local shop that is going to do the transmission, and I'm leaning toward this Quick Performance 9" for the rear. I wanna take it one thing at a time, so I'll get to those once I've got the engine back.
All you need is a good th350 and at least a 2500 converter. Aint nothing wrong with the rear you got now, is there? Gotta get some miles on it first, see how it feels with SBB power. :p

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'm looking at a Quick 9" as well. 3:42s and a sturdy 200-4r would be a pretty fun and indestructible combo. Should still be more economical than your F150 too.

Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
I'm looking at a Quick 9" as well. 3:42s and a sturdy 200-4r would be a pretty fun and indestructible combo. Should still be more economical than your F150 too.

Yeah, for what people are asking for an 8.5", I'd rather have a brand new bolt in 9 inch shipped to my door and built how I want for only slightly more money. I'll probably get the standard Track-Lok limited slip and drum brakes just to save a couple bucks.

Fuel economy has never been a concern with this car but it won't be hard to beat the F150 on fuel economy, lol.

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
My thoughts exactly on the 9". They were the go-to standard for decades as far a durability and market support goes. The only reason to go 8.5" IMHO is to "keep your GM all GM". Dollar-for-dollar though, the 9" is the winner.

What are your transmission plans?

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
My thoughts exactly on the 9". They were the go-to standard for decades as far a durability and market support goes. The only reason to go 8.5" IMHO is to "keep your GM all GM". Dollar-for-dollar though, the 9" is the winner.

What are your transmission plans?

I haven't put a ton of thought into the trans yet, but I think it's hard to go wrong with a well built TH350. A TH350 with a 2500 stall converter and 3.73s or 3.42s would pair nicely with the cam and and the head work. I have the name of a shop that is supposed to be reasonable and good with older stuff, so I could get the one I have rebuilt or otherwise buy a TCI Street fighter or similar.

A stick would be cool, but I believe Buicks with manuals used a different crankshaft, and there is nowhere for the pilot bushing to go on engines that came with automatics.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
If you're just doing a TH350 you should build it yourself. No special tools and you're more than capable.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor