Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
???

Nov 4, 2012
Hey MrSony, I gotchu an update-

I've been completely distracted with the house, the Toyota, and playing CW McCall with the CB on the truck, but Bob gave me a call yesterday and asked me to stop by the shop so I took a ride over. Mike had to do some extra work to the rockers as TA just used a generic shim on them and the roller wasn't sitting directly on the valve, so he had to shim them with the correct sizes to make them fit perfectly. Now all that's left is to lap the valves, wash out the heads, assemble them and bolt them on. I dropped off the oil filter and dipstick yesterday. I've got the intake bolts blasted and need to paint them now. I've also got to run up to the junkyard and find a washer for the harmonic balancer bolt as mine was missing.

Bob said it should be ready to come home next week. I'm not just gonna bring it home and slam it in though. I want to get everything clean and neat before I install it. I've still got to paint the engine itself and clean up the engine bay. I'm gonna take my time because I'm not likely to make this car cruise season anyways. I've been putting off purchases until the engine is home and paid for, but once it's back, it'll be go time.

Anyways I'm giddy like a school girl!

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users
Nov 4, 2012
Today I went up to a junkyard and got a harmonic balancer bolt washer. I had to walk through a ton of mud to get it, but it came off of a Buick 350 so I know it'll work.

I also went over to the sporting goods store and bought a bottle of gun bluing. I used it to coat the intake bolts. They came out pretty well IMO. I think it will be more durable than if I had just painted them.

As for engine paint, it's looking like the Duplicolor 1653 is the gonna be the way to go. It's not very expensive and it's readily available, and it's close enough to the original color. I'll probably pick up 4 cans or so.

Reactions: 4 users

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
As for engine paint, it's looking like the Duplicolor 1653 is the gonna be the way to go. It's not very expensive and it's readily available, and it's close enough to the original color. I'll probably pick up 4 cans or so.
If there's anything I can say it's stay away from Duplicolor. Look up a paint called MRO, or better yet I will post a link. I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned my engine before using Duplicolor and the sh*t was peeling within months. Get gas or degreaser on it and forget about it. I learned about MRO because we use it at work after we weld on the locomotives. I use it for everything on my cars now. Stuff goes on great and is very durable. Painted my 496 with it about this time last year and have yet to see any flaking or fading. Just a heads up. Won't even take a full can, for the price you can't beat it.
http://www.seymourpaint.com/product/mro-industrial-enamel/

Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
VHT Engine paint won't hold up to brake parts cleaner, just FYI...

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
Most single stage paints won't hold up to brake cleaner. I wonder where I can get the MRO paints? I l'd like to get something locally, since I've always had issues getting paint shipped. Has anyone used the Rustoleum Engine paints?

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Most single stage paints won't hold up to brake cleaner. I wonder where I can get the MRO paints? I l'd like to get something locally, since I've always had issues getting paint shipped. Has anyone used the Rustoleum Engine paints?
I had the same issue. I could steal it from work but I eventually found a C&W Paint store within 30 minutes from me that carried MRO. I haven't had luck with any other so called engine paint before. Just google MRO dealers near you. There's gotta be one. Or just order it online. $12 for a big can, you can't beat it. Order some black while you're at it for the firewall and frame.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yeah, it flakes if not taken are of. Or if you look at it funny. But then again, mine was a daily so I didnt really care all that much. Joe's car is way nicer than mine... It deserves the better engine paint. :D

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I guess I thought engine paint should hold up to most common automotive chemicals? The VHT that I screwed up was on my transmission pan. I used their primer, color and clear. The brake spray laughed at it.

Nov 4, 2012
I guess I thought engine paint should hold up to most common automotive chemicals? The VHT that I screwed up was on my transmission pan. I used their primer, color and clear. The brake spray laughed at it.

You would think... Without a catalyst enamels just aren't very durable.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor