BUILD THREAD JRP's '87 Regal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
It was a messy commute this morning but the Subaru did well despite everyone else sliding all over.

img_20190201_090852324_hdr-2672x2004-jpg.105283
img_20190201_090814185-2672x2004-jpg.105284
OK you (& like everyone else) now owe me a royalty for driving that stretch downtown. That is where Wylie Ave used to extend to downtown & where my great grandfather's phamacy was before they Igloo was built. ;) Back in the day Ol' Dante was the man cause of his "unoffical" connections to certian Italians.
Up here in the Armstrong/Indiana counties area was hit & miss this morning.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
You weren't ghostwalking all over Pgh?!?! :rofl:

Heads are looking good!

Nope, I wasn't ghost walking at all, I could hardly believe it myself! I thought for sure the back of the car would be hopping around uncontrollably! :rofl:

OK you (& like everyone else) now owe me a royalty for driving that stretch downtown. That is where Wylie Ave used to extend to downtown & where my great grandfather's phamacy was before they Igloo was built. ;) Back in the day Ol' Dante was the man cause of his "unoffical" connections to certian Italians.
Up here in the Armstrong/Indiana counties area was hit & miss this morning.

That's Eminent Domain for ya. Same thing happened to my dad when he was growing up in Manchester and they decided to build Three Rivers. They ended up moving to Brighton Heights. I drive that stretch most everyday. My mom works downtown, I drop her off at work before I go to work myself.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Mail came! The pistons showed up yesterday. Bob has them warming up to room temperature so they can be measured, but overall impressions are good. They were packaged nicely and the finish is very nice. Autotec smoothed out the edge of the valve recess on the edge of the piston face which was something that JE didn't even do with the set that went into the last Buick 350 Bob did. They even etched the machine shop name on the bottom of the pistons. I'm pretty excited.

IMG_20190205_105635279-2004x2672.jpg
IMG_20190205_105640872-2004x2672.jpg

Mike got more done on the heads, the valve seats are all cut and he has started to press the guides in. The Milodon valves showed up and the stem length was different than what the catalog said, so they are going back and we'll have to find something else.

Reactions: 8 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Mail came! The pistons showed up yesterday. Bob has them warming up to room temperature so they can be measured, but overall impressions are good. They were packaged nicely and the finish is very nice. Autotec smoothed out the edge of the valve recess on the edge of the piston face which was something that JE didn't even do with the set that went into the last Buick 350 Bob did. They even etched the machine shop name on the bottom of the pistons. I'm pretty excited.

View attachment 105494 View attachment 105495

Mike got more done on the heads, the valve seats are all cut and he has started to press the guides in. The Milodon valves showed up and the stem length was different than what the catalog said, so they are going back and we'll have to find something else.
TA has valves, check with them. http://www.taperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TA_1432A

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
those pistons are purdy. now i'm definitely gonna buy a set.

Nov 4, 2012
those pistons are purdy. now i'm definitely gonna buy a set.

Thank you kindly, you are the one who turned me on to them. We ordered them directly from Autotec, bypassing the buyracingparts website, reason being Autotec was easier to get in touch with than the website. The pistons are MTO either way.

I haven't had a chance to get over to the machine shop but I did talk to Bob briefly on the phone today, he called to ask whether I wanted brass or steel freeze plugs. I said brass of course. I mentioned the TA valves. He told me that Mike called them last week to ask about them and the TA valves are really low grade stainless steel, stem wear would be an issue. I'm not worried about it yet, I'm sure we'll be able to find something.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
I got over to the machine shop this morning. Bob was just getting ready to balance the crank. The final hone is on the block, it just needs the honing oil cleaned out of it. Bob looked at both the Crower and T/A cams and he thought that the TA284 would be a better fit. He said he might get the bottom end together next week. Mike got the valves figured out, he is modifying a set to fit. The final sizes will be 1.640" exhaust and 1.940" intake.

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yeah with what you're doing to your heads it will like the 284 better. Slightly more "aggressive". Can't wait to see what #s it puts down. And for break in, as cool as that qjet looks id break it in with an already known good carb. Less time fiddling. And take a video! There's like 5 Buick 350 break in vids on the entirety of YT and mine is one of em.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor