BUILD THREAD JRP's '87 Regal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Yeah with what you're doing to your heads it will like the 284 better. Slightly more "aggressive". Can't wait to see what #s it puts down. And for break in, as cool as that qjet looks id break it in with an already known good carb. Less time fiddling. And take a video! There's like 5 Buick 350 break in vids on the entirety of YT and mine is one of em.

Bob said he liked the 284 because it has a longer power range and it also comes on 300 RPM earlier. Obviously with the 9 way timing set, where the power range is can be adjusted.

I agree completely on the carb, I don't want to have to adjust it while simultaneously breaking in the cam and setting the timing. I too have noticed there aren't a lot of Buick 350 videos on YT, I'll try to have someone record it.

Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
At the very least record its first dyno run.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
The key to a reliable 6k rpm 350 is balance, rod bolts, and most importantly oiling. Just by nature it makes power down low. With that cam having an extended power range, be mindful of the engine's limits. The SBB also has some Chonky mains too, doesn't really like high rpm unless specifically built for it. The rods, stock in good shape, are generally good to 450/500hp and/or 6krpm. Same with the crank. Its nodular iron, so unless you drop 3k for a custom unit, thats the best we sbb folk get.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
?

Nov 4, 2012
Sorry, it's been a packed week, I haven't had a chance to stop by the machine shop and get an update. I'm going to try to stop by tomorrow morning and see how it looks.

Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
So I did get over to the machine shop today. The freeze plugs and all the pipe plugs have been installed in the block. Bob began installing the cam bearings and got 4 of the 5 in, however there is a slight casting defect in my block that made it difficult to get the #3 cam bearing into place, and the bearing ended up deforming when he started pressing it in. He used a couple standard Buick 350 cam bearings to experiment and rectify the issue, and once he had it figured out he ordered another TA bearing, so we're hung up waiting on that cam bearing before the bottom end can go together. The cylinder heads have been mocked up a couple times and are just about ready to go. Mike tapped the holes for heated choke so that they can be blocked off with pipe plugs. That'll keep the intake temps cooler and they aren't needed anyway since I'm running an electric choke. Also when the cylinder head was mocked up, Mike said the aftermarket TA stamped steel rockers didn't seat on the valve tips quite the same way the factory ones are supposed to, and because of that they "drag" across the tip of the valve stem. His concern with that was longevity of both the rockers and the valve stems. So I'm looking into the TA roller rockers which would eliminate that issue and are also a 1.60 or 1.65 vs a 1.55 ratio rocker which would allow for some more lift. So that's the update for right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
Just found & read through this thread. Nice progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor