Jumper cables- CCA or copper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Anyone use the new Copper Clad Aluminum jumper cables? Any issues? I prefer solid copper but they are getting hard to find.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Make your own out of old welding cables.

Reactions: 1 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
The copper clad ones are a good bit lighter than the solid copper ones. Likely the same current carrying capacity, though. Crappy clamps will get you faster than the wire itself on most of the cheap jumper cables.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I just still stick to my old copper ones. Then again I refuse to use that aluminized wiring in work in the houses too.

Just like I hate ls motors.

Old stuff is just plain better. I can pull a 50 year old inline truck out of a field and it'll run with gas, although oil should be changed too. I highly doubt you could park a new car in a field for 40 years and make it start with nothing but gas after.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Crappy clamps
That's another issue. I am liking the Die Hard Platinum kit. Solid copper, nice clamps, 4ga, 20ft, in a carry case. No one has it not even Sears. EDIT: And made by Schumacher.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
That's another issue. I am liking the Die Hard Platinum kit. Solid copper, nice clamps, 4ga, 20ft, in a carry case. No one has it not even Sears. EDIT: And made by Schumacher.
Can’t say I used their cables, but I had an old Sears die hard battery here in Canada, from the early 2010’s.

It went through extreme weather conditions and being discharged to empty over a dozen times, and still worked great up until I let it go for $80.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I just still stick to my old copper ones. Then again I refuse to use that aluminized wiring in work in the houses too.

Just like I hate ls motors.

Old stuff is just plain better. I can pull a 50 year old inline truck out of a field and it'll run with gas, although oil should be changed too. I highly doubt you could park a new car in a field for 40 years and make it start with nothing but gas after.
Here in Ontario it’s illegal to use aluminum wiring in houses.

Wouldn’t want to use it for repairs in cars either no doubt, even if it costs me more for copper.

And agreed old is better, but finding parts has been harder with vehicles getting scrapped, and the borders being closed for a while now.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Aluminum wire is not allowed in houses because thermal expansion would cause the breakers and outlets screw terminals to become loose over time. Loose connections would cause arcing, the arcing in less than sealed outlet boxes or breaker panels would cause house fires. This issue only affected solid, single strand wire as multistrand wire is thin enough to deform when compressed by a screw terminal.

All these issues are not a problem for a jumper cable, as it is multistranded wire and it will be crimped onto the clamps. The copper-clad wire could actually be a good replacement to solid copper wire in THIS application.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Aluminum wire is not allowed in houses because thermal expansion would cause the breakers and outlets screw terminals to become loose over time. Loose connections would cause arcing,
And now the code is for arc fault circuit breakers. That is, when an arc is detected, it trips the breaker just as a ground fault breaker would. And are THOSE expensive MF's. I may have to settle for the CCA wires as the pure copper ones are going for hundreds of dollars. Not to sit in the trunk for years waiting to be used. The Die hard platinum is a great bargain but no one has it.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Aluminum wire is not allowed in houses because thermal expansion would cause the breakers and outlets screw terminals to become loose over time. Loose connections would cause arcing, the arcing in less than sealed outlet boxes or breaker panels would cause house fires. This issue only affected solid, single strand wire as multistrand wire is thin enough to deform when compressed by a screw terminal.

All these issues are not a problem for a jumper cable, as it is multistranded wire and it will be crimped onto the clamps. The copper-clad wire could actually be a good replacement to solid copper wire in THIS application.
Well that and the fact, if you strip wires and gouge the wire even slightly, the resistance goes way higher than it would on copper, causing heat and potentially fire from the amperage being pulled.

That said, I agree it’s just booster cables so it should be fine, but if it was for daily use, not so sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor