Jumping in head first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2022
Hello all I’ve been a long time stalker of the forum.. tons of useful information. Back in the day when I driving I used to have plenty of g bodies, doing the basic 350 upgrades and what not. Fun times until a family changed that. Now i have time for toys and I purchased an 86 Monte Carlo ls t-top.. it’s in overall good condition besides the floors.. but that’s another story.. I’ve never had a bbc. I know most people are doing ls swaps but I want to do a gen 6 454 4l80e combination but I want to retain the factory fuel injection.. I know carb would be easier but I’ve been there and done that.. any help would be greatly appreciated as I will do a build thread on the complete restoration..

Attachments

• 403A907C-675F-4EC4-AE2A-68A6FD5DE259.jpeg
    403A907C-675F-4EC4-AE2A-68A6FD5DE259.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 77
  • ED0CCE87-916C-4DB5-98E1-F4AAF90514F5.jpeg
    ED0CCE87-916C-4DB5-98E1-F4AAF90514F5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 79
  • 40EFE022-69B4-4D84-843F-566B53525FC3.jpeg
    40EFE022-69B4-4D84-843F-566B53525FC3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 77

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Hello all I’ve been a long time stalker of the forum.. tons of useful information. Back in the day when I driving I used to have plenty of g bodies, doing the basic 350 upgrades and what not. Fun times until a family changed that. Now i have time for toys and I purchased an 86 Monte Carlo ls t-top.. it’s in overall good condition besides the floors.. but that’s another story.. I’ve never had a bbc. I know most people are doing ls swaps but I want to do a gen 6 454 4l80e combination but I want to retain the factory fuel injection.. I know carb would be easier but I’ve been there and done that.. any help would be greatly appreciated as I will do a build thread on the complete restoration..
Just wondering but.... why gen 6 454? I'm biased towards my vortec 8100 which would've been the next step in evolution

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Welcome and good luck with the project!

Jun 3, 2022
Just wondering but.... why gen 6 454? I'm biased towards my vortec 8100 which would've been the next step in evolution
In all honesty I can’t seem to source one locally in the Detroit area tried all the wrecking yards and pull a parts.. the gen 6 complete is only $550 with trans ecm and harness

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
In all honesty I can’t seem to source one locally in the Detroit area tried all the wrecking yards and pull a parts.. the gen 6 complete is only $550 with trans ecm and harness
Yeah, sometimes as with anything it's a cost benefit question.

Not sure on your plans for the drivetrain you do grab, you may come out ahead buying a good running but rusty donor in your area over a junkyard unit - whether it's 454 or 8100. Most of the motors have been worked hard and wore out before hitting a junkyard. It used to be for a squarebody 454 in the 120-160k mile territory you were often near the end of life. By the gen 6, well, plenty still failed at 100k and plenty lived to 250k. It really depended on how it was used, and, how it was maintained. Religious maintenance and never worked hard could be a 300k+ motor but not much of the time.

What drew me to the 8100 was all the testing GM did in development to use it as the 8.1l captains choice in the mercury marine applications. It passes what they called the marine dock test- 300 hrs, basically non stop, WOT for marine and 1000 hrs basically WOT non stop for truck. They take a 300 hr window without a break, and run 55min WOT then 5 min at idle, and repeat the cycle 300 times uninterrupted.

Very very few engines attempt let alone pass said test.

Downsides? Not much of an aftermarket since they're not a light duty truck application. As time went by its dried up further. Raylar engineering is probably best source these days. Worst job on an 8100 is the crank position sensor. Not an easy swap in truck, and, need to be careful about removal because the heat and O rings on early years combined to sorta make them stick in place and want to break during in truck removal. Not so bad a job to do before a swap in.

For an 8.1 you could part out an old suburban yukon, avalanche, uhaul, or rv built on the workhorse platform. Sure silverado/Sierra got em, but, pickup prices are crazy these days for trucks capable of actual work, not these piddling v6 turbo jobs woth 4.5 ft beds they build nowadays. Longevity goes well past the 300k mark if you look at trucks for sale, but, again, consider workload and maintenance.

For a 454 I'd probably look for a rusty gmt400 suburban. Don't have the utility of a pickup, so, prices aren't as up there again.

Junkyard or pull a part? Eh... I probably wouldn't want a 454 from there except as a core you're going to tear apart and rebuild completely. Just feels like problems, considering that whole risk/reward calculation.

Nothing beats being able to drive a truck and see everything function before harvesting the drivetrain and scrapping converters/carcass for parts to offset the cost.

Reactions: 1 user
Jun 3, 2022
Yeah, sometimes as with anything it's a cost benefit question.

Not sure on your plans for the drivetrain you do grab, you may come out ahead buying a good running but rusty donor in your area over a junkyard unit - whether it's 454 or 8100. Most of the motors have been worked hard and wore out before hitting a junkyard. It used to be for a squarebody 454 in the 120-160k mile territory you were often near the end of life. By the gen 6, well, plenty still failed at 100k and plenty lived to 250k. It really depended on how it was used, and, how it was maintained. Religious maintenance and never worked hard could be a 300k+ motor but not much of the time.

What drew me to the 8100 was all the testing GM did in development to use it as the 8.1l captains choice in the mercury marine applications. It passes what they called the marine dock test- 300 hrs, basically non stop, WOT for marine and 1000 hrs basically WOT non stop for truck. They take a 300 hr window without a break, and run 55min WOT then 5 min at idle, and repeat the cycle 300 times uninterrupted.

Very very few engines attempt let alone pass said test.

Downsides? Not much of an aftermarket since they're not a light duty truck application. As time went by its dried up further. Raylar engineering is probably best source these days. Worst job on an 8100 is the crank position sensor. Not an easy swap in truck, and, need to be careful about removal because the heat and O rings on early years combined to sorta make them stick in place and want to break during in truck removal. Not so bad a job to do before a swap in.

For an 8.1 you could part out an old suburban yukon, avalanche, uhaul, or rv built on the workhorse platform. Sure silverado/Sierra got em, but, pickup prices are crazy these days for trucks capable of actual work, not these piddling v6 turbo jobs woth 4.5 ft beds they build nowadays. Longevity goes well past the 300k mark if you look at trucks for sale, but, again, consider workload and maintenance.

For a 454 I'd probably look for a rusty gmt400 suburban. Don't have the utility of a pickup, so, prices aren't as up there again.

Junkyard or pull a part? Eh... I probably wouldn't want a 454 from there except as a core you're going to tear apart and rebuild completely. Just feels like problems, considering that whole risk/reward calculation.

Nothing beats being able to drive a truck and see everything function before harvesting the drivetrain and scrapping converters/carcass for parts to offset the cost.
Pretty much with 454 I was going to do a rebuild on it and the trans before install as I’ve rebuilt plenty engines but not a bbc shouldn’t be much different.. outside of the pick a part and searching on car-part I wasn’t able to find an 8.1 in my area.. I have a lq9 for a swap but I feel like every has that I wanted a bbc for the wow factor when I open the hood lol… another downside you mentioned was not enough aftermarket support for the 8.1 it would be fun for a street application but maybe not so much at the track .. I’d at least like to make it in to the 11s range

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Welcome to the GBodyForum!
Looks like you have some nice plans for your newly acquired Gbody. One step at a time and you'll be destroying the streets in no time. There are several on here who are very knowledgeable and can give you a lot of tips, help and pointers on the what and what not to do.
Good luck on your build. Looking forward to seeing pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor