Junction box under dash driverside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 6, 2018
Hi you all, I'm having problems to get my courtesy lights running. During restoration I took it apart and now we forgot how it was! Does somebody have pictures how it should be put together again and if possible a wiring diagram. We are talking about a Chevy Malibu two doors of 1979. The junction box is under the dash on the drivers side. HELP!!

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
There is a small harness that comes down from the A pillar that plugs into the left side of the fusebox assembly, just above the rear lamp harness

SAM_1931.JPG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Bokkie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 6, 2018
Hi Ribbedroof, Thanks for the picture but that is not what i'm looking for. But when you look at the picture you can see what i mean, it's a white nylon junction where they put some plug's!! Sorry for not so good english but i'm from the Netherlands Europe.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
There is sometimes a jumper wire from the white-ish electrical bus to the fusebox, but I don't recall seeing one in a 79 Malibu before. More common on later cars/other car lines with more option content.

Assuming that for some reason your courtesy lamps are being run off the bus, there should be a jumper from the "BAT" terminal of fusebox to the bus

The bus that you can barely see in the picture is in a Malibu, but was swapped in from an '84 Monte Carlo SS, as I wired the car for power windows/locks when I had the dash out.

I'm thinking that the jumper is the heavy gauge black/orange stripe wire in front of the fusebox. I'm not where the car is right now or I would go look.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
A lot of the 78-79 Chevrolets had an orange some light delay box under the left side of the dashboard. When this box fails you will not have any dome lights unless you manually turn them on with the headlight switch. I had seven different dome light delay boxes that I had pulled out of the junkyard over the years and they were all bad. What I ended up doing was jumpering the wires at the delay box. if you can wait until later on today, I'll take a peek under my dash to tell you exactly which wires to jumper because it's been several years since I did so

Bokkie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 6, 2018
Hi, here is a picture of what i mean.

Attachments

• junction box.jpg
    junction box.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 313
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor