CUTLASS Junk parts - So effin pi$$ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
78 Cutlass Supreme, bought last year.
Pedal would sink at stop lights etc, was leaking by internally. Unnerving, but stopped well otherwise.
FFWD to this year. Dug it out this spring, bought a "NEW" (not reman) M/C from my local Advance Auto.
Got it installed, leaked out of both front and rear line connector ports like the milling was off and the sealing area was fubar. OEM unit did not leak there, was internal.
Replaced under warranty, just put in a "Quality reman" unit today in 98 degree heat.
Bench bled fine, installed and bled both front and rear.
Road tested and get back home to see it leaking from the front pipe connection, and out the rear like the seal is bad.
DOES ANYBODY MAKE A QUALITY PART ANYMORE?????
Not sure what to try next...... What have you guys used that works out of the box?

Nov 4, 2012
That sucks. Maybe it's just me but I think the Carquest brand stuff has gone downhill since AA bought them. FWIW I've had good luck with AutoZone Duralast masters.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Could it be that the inverted flares at the ends of the lines are out of shape?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
Since most Americans now a days don't care where things are made and only buy based on price (I know a little dramatic, but mostly true), most component manufacturing has moved overseas. What sucks is you used to be able get get good parts and now it seems that for some parts, all you can get is India and China. Pretty sad. I work in an industry that buys a lot of components from overseas and I can tell you the quality varies greatly.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Maybe Rockauto or a GM parts dealer.

• Agree

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Since most Americans now a days don't care where things are made and only buy based on price (I know a little dramatic, but mostly true), most component manufacturing has moved overseas. What sucks is you used to be able get get good parts and now it seems that for some parts, all you can get is India and China. Pretty sad. I work in an industry that buys a lot of components from overseas and I can tell you the quality varies greatly.

I will say that I do prefer to purchase American made stuff but it's not always possible these days. As far as the quality goes, it is possible to for a company to manufacture a quality part anyplace in the world. It's just depends how the part is specified and if quality is a priority with the company on the label. I've purchased some of the 'higher quality' parts from Rock Auto and when I received them I realized that they were manufactured in China. Said parts actually turned out to be high quality parts that worked out well. In closing I prefer to purchase North American made parts but we now live in a global world where this isn't always possible.

csstrux

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2017
I get just about everything from Rock Auto anymore. Usually the best price, and you can pick the level of quality you are spending your money on.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
So rebuild the original, at least you know the flare seats are good. "Back in the day", we always rebuilt wheel and master cylinders, because there were no cheap new ones. Changed about 1992...remember trying to buy wheel cylinder kits for an F100, had to order, but had new cylinders for $1 less than the rebuild kits, in stock.

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
I also like to buy from Rockauto. I replaced the MC that was on my car when I got it. Was leaking out the back. The replacement from O'Reilly leaked out the back too, so bought a new one from Rockauto and no problem with it yet.

oldolds

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2017
pine city/rosaila washington
foud out that honda and toyota are more american than gm. 80 percent of gm is made in china parts and cars and trucks there main proving ground and assembly plant is in china but honda and toyota are made in the usa. damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor