Just bought a 5 speed cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

CutlassCal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 2, 2019
I just bought a 78 cutlass Calais with a 5 speed manual and the 260 v8 for $2,000. I have a few questions... 1. Did I get screwed over? The car runs and drives perfect, interior is ehhh and the exterior is also ehhh 2. My car is a factory 5 speed (It even says so on the build sheet) and I want to know production numbers for 5 speeds of that year 3. Are there any g-body exclusive shows in northern CA?

Reactions: 1 user

CutlassCal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 2, 2019
Keep in mind I bought this car in California, the body is straight, no rust, no dents no body work. And the interior just needs a headliner.

CutlassCal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 2, 2019
452A2303-98EA-4DDC-BEA2-BC1C7EDB3EE5.jpeg
70C5AB26-197C-4053-AB5D-C20EE618602D.jpeg
BFB0FE56-FC2F-403F-9755-652C0C472BF3.jpeg
693E4B23-BD80-44FC-ABDD-45BCE6CFFB29.jpeg

i just graduated high school and figured I’d buy myself a little project while I’m going to college, all feedback is appreciated :)

• Winner
Reactions: 19 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Welcome to the site from Houston. I would have bought that car for $2k if I had come across it locally. Good luck with the project and let us know how we can help.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
A 3 pedal G-body is always an awesome purchase.

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users

Red78Calais4speed

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2013
Leominster, Massachusetts
I think you did very well with your purchase! Any manual transmission Cutlasses, 1978 and 1979, are pretty rare. Reliable production numbers are non-existent. I have seen a few numbers poking around the internet but can't verify their accuracy. I've owned 4 manual transmission cars of this vintage and they're a lot of fun. They always drew a huge crowd at the shows I attended because no one had ever seen one with a stick before. Most people had one of those "I had one of these cars when I was younger..." stories but NO one ever had one with a manual transmission. I even had car show "experts" claim that they never made any and that I put it together myself. I showed them the build sheet and dealer invoice and was told those were fake also. I pulled out the owners manual and turned to page 20 to show them the specifics of the transmission(s), and they just walked away. Too bad there are too many know-it-alls that don't know anything.
Your 1978 Calais should be fun to drive with that stick, even with the 2.56 rear end. Does it have limited slip? Only one of mine did not. Don't expect a lot out of that 260 though. It's certainly no powerhouse. The 5-speed will make the car seem quicker than it really is. A positive is that the car was rated at 20 mpg city and 29 mpg highway in 1978 with that combo. Decent mileage even today. Just remember this... even though they're rare... it doesn't mean they're very valuable. I think the $2000 you paid was an excellent price. Enjoy the car!

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
They made 907 5 speed Cutlasses in 78.

Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard!
Don't worry, I think you did very well. Nice interior, straight body...buckets, sport wheel, tilt...5-spd. (y)
Lots of potential.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

CutlassCal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 2, 2019
I think you did very well with your purchase! Any manual transmission Cutlasses, 1978 and 1979, are pretty rare. Reliable production numbers are non-existent. I have seen a few numbers poking around the internet but can't verify their accuracy. I've owned 4 manual transmission cars of this vintage and they're a lot of fun. They always drew a huge crowd at the shows I attended because no one had ever seen one with a stick before. Most people had one of those "I had one of these cars when I was younger..." stories but NO one ever had one with a manual transmission. I even had car show "experts" claim that they never made any and that I put it together myself. I showed them the build sheet and dealer invoice and was told those were fake also. I pulled out the owners manual and turned to page 20 to show them the specifics of the transmission(s), and they just walked away. Too bad there are too many know-it-alls that don't know anything.
Your 1978 Calais should be fun to drive with that stick, even with the 2.56 rear end. Does it have limited slip? Only one of mine did not. Don't expect a lot out of that 260 though. It's certainly no powerhouse. The 5-speed will make the car seem quicker than it really is. A positive is that the car was rated at 20 mpg city and 29 mpg highway in 1978 with that combo. Decent mileage even today. Just remember this... even though they're rare... it doesn't mean they're very valuable. I think the $2000 you paid was an excellent price. Enjoy the car!
Thank you for the reply! Unfortunately it doesn’t have a limited slip

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor