Just bought some parts need some more though can sum1 help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

t_visker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2006
Brookings, SD
ok I purchased this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-7-5-1 ... dZViewItem

says its missing the 11 teeth pinion gear.. where can i buy just this not the ring and pinion set.. im gunna be pretty dispointed if i have to buy the set cuz thats like another 250.. which means i coulda bought all this new..

what do you guys think of the buy.. i might have payed alil to much but i needed it..

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
You paid way too much, why in the world would you pay that much for a used, condition unknown Posi carrier with a ring gear but no pinion gear? Ring and pinion are sold as sets; you can't mix and match. You could have bought a brand new limited slip carrier with a warranty for what you paid. I'm sorry to be so harsh but if you want to be a successful hot rodder you have to learn to spend your money more wisely.
Oh well, I notice from the bid history that there were other foolish bidders also OR those guys were in cahoots with the seller and just entered bogus bids to increase the winning bid.

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
Ummm... wow.... I paid $125 for the exact same thing on ebay.

Hate to say it, but you're going to need either new gears or use the gears that are in your car right now, assuming they're 3.23 or steeper that is.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Wow. That is alot.

t_visker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2006
Brookings, SD
bleh

ok.. i messed up.. my bad.. anyways so i need to get a ring and pinion..

i have a olds 350 with hot cams, 650 cfm.. overdrive auto transmission.. should i run 4.10??

also this should be a well setup rearend if i get some 15x7s with this and if im running under 375horses i should be fine with the 7.5" 10 bolt correct..

thanks for the help and wow i feel like a dumass for overpaying oh well.. i was gettin desperate i guess..

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
Yes you could use 4.0 gears with an overdrive trans. Be advised that the 7.5" 10-bolt is a very inadequate rear axle assembly and that horsepower levels over 300, sticky tires and hard lauches will destroy it pretty easily. You might want to consider an 8.5" 10-bolt from a Buick Regal T-Type, Buick GN or Olds 442/Hurst.

t_visker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2006
Brookings, SD
rear end

yea its more of a car to cruise around in.. i wont beat on it to much and right now i am running cooper traction A tires.. so i'm not worrying to much about ruining the rear end.. atleast i hope i dont .. im gunna try to stay off the gas pedal so i dont kill the rear end but if i do.. then i do.. oh well you can always upgrade.. i just dont have money or time right now to do something like that...

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
Unfortunately that $390+ you spent on that 7.5" carrier could have gone pretty far towards buying an 8.5" Posi with 3.43 or 3.73 gears, I recently saw two of them sell for $600 locally. A 8.5" is a swap in (shorten driveshaft by 1") and will easily handle almost any engine that you can throw at it. I'm wondering why if you didn't intend on beating on it were you so interested in steeper gears and a locking differential? You do realize that you can't just buy a pinion gear so the ring gear on that carrier will have to be discarded. Unfortunately you can't use the ring/pinion in the rear axle assembly because the carrier you bought can only be used with 3.23 and higher numerical gears.
Look, I wouldn't feel too bad about what happened because I am an old fart now but when I was a young hotrodder I made some pretty foolish purchases that wasted my hard earned performance dollars also. But I didn't have the luxury of an internet site like this. Use the experience of all the people on this website to make your performance dollars go furthur; there are a lot of people here more than happy to help you. Good luck!

steve 86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 23, 2006
hamden ct.
HOLY SMOKE...$390 for a used carrier!?.......Im not gonna say it but there are a few guys here who know what i would have done :wink: .....sorry, im not trying to rub it in.

t_visker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2006
Brookings, SD
get the point

ok i get the point.. i messed up thanks for the responses

but i mean wat gearing should i buy then if i cant buy just a pinion gear..

i have 2800 stall, 650cfm, hot cams.. and thats about it... gettin exhaust done soon..

so what gearing should i go with..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor