Just did TH200 to TH350 swap... column shifter acting weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looter

Apprentice
Jun 27, 2016
I just swapped out the th200 in my 1978 regal to a th350, haven’t even driven it yet, but the column shifter is weird, some shifts (L1 to D) are a little too easy and smooth, others are stiff, does anyone have suggestions or pictures of their TH350 column shift linkage setup?

Looter

Apprentice
Jun 27, 2016
Also, for vacuum modulator hose, is there a way to buy it prefitted or am I better off doing it on my own?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Try readjusting the shifter in neutral, first. Put the car in neutral, loosen the bolt on the linkage at the trans, move the rod until it rests on the stop in the column, then retighten the bolt. While you're down there, check the bushing on the frame side of the linkage crossbar. They can wear out causing shifter slop.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
One way that worked for me & lined up the needle to the gear was put the trans & column into 1st/L1then adjust the linkage. Just one method might help.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Also, for vacuum modulator hose, is there a way to buy it prefitted or am I better off doing it on my own?
Summit sells the steel line, used it on my coupe.

None listed for our cars, I used an earlier Chevelle piece, minor tweaking at manifold end. Use of rubber hose for entire length is not recommended, due to concerns about sucking it shut. Braided hose would probably be OK.

Reactions: 1 user

Looter

Apprentice
Jun 27, 2016
Summit sells the steel line, used it on my coupe.

None listed for our cars, I used an earlier Chevelle piece, minor tweaking at manifold end. Use of rubber hose for entire length is not recommended, due to concerns about sucking it shut. Braided hose would probably be OK.

I have a tool for bending tube so would I be better off making my own or just modifying the Chevelle one?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
If the engine/trans are out, bending your own would be easy. Mine was already in, and I had no example to work from, so I bought one.

Either way will work. I just chose the more expensive, easy way out

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Any recommendations for a TH350 that will handle 450hp range? We were looking at a Jakes Performance that is stage 1 that says should handle 500hp

HI85WH1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 19, 2005
There have been many times I have seen not only the round bushing missing (the one adjacent to the spring) but the two on the shift lever.

These make a HUGE difference in the trans being in a gear (or the right gear)

It makes enough of a difference between being halfway between reverse and park if you are not careful!

I've been trying to find someone else who supplies the bushings instead of spending $18/pair every time I need them.

I'll just buy a dozen and toss them in the tool chest next to all the other wierd spare parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor