Just got my first project car , got some work

L

Lostkio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 15, 2020
What do you plan on using the car for
Planing on this car to handle extremely good but the power to take off like a race car as far as what I’m gonna do with her might end up being a Daily for a while till I get a new truck

• Optimistic
Reactions: fleming442

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
That's asking alot without knowing what kind of budget you are working with. You could do an aftermarket frame & suspension that would be 10k plus, an LS 4L80E 9inch combo for a powertrain for another 10k, or swap in a Buick 350 or 455 and stock replacement suspension for around 2K.
Guess it depends on how much you are willing to invest in it.

L

Lostkio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 15, 2020
That's asking alot without knowing what kind of budget you are working with. You could do an aftermarket frame & suspension that would be 10k plus, an LS 4L80E 9inch combo for a powertrain for another 10k, or swap in a Buick 350 or 455 and stock replacement suspension for around 2K.
Guess it depends on how much you are willing to invest in it.
With this being my first project and me not being doing with welding school ima not working with a lot so a 350 swap was gonna be more close to home. Doesn’t have to run like a corvette but I do need some fun out of it if you get what I’m saying

Reactions: 85442/86buick
64nailhead

64nailhead

Royal Smart Person
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
LS is cheap if yo can handle the wiring, if not, then the next best bet is a SBC. A properly built SBC can easily put out 350 HP on a budget ad be great fun.

If you're a student and want to learn then this is a great place. You need to come up with a budget for your driveline and a realistic HP goal. Keep in mind that your car was built with a sub 200hp motor, so any real performance motor will seem like night ad day compared to whatever you have now.

L

Lostkio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 15, 2020
LS is cheap if yo can handle the wiring, if not, then the next best bet is a SBC. A properly built SBC can easily put out 350 HP on a budget ad be great fun.

If you're a student and want to learn then this is a great place. You need to come up with a budget for your driveline and a realistic HP goal. Keep in mind that your car was built with a sub 200hp motor, so any real performance motor will seem like night ad day compared to whatever you have now.
Thanks for the information I was thinking L’s at first but seemed out of my budget but I haven’t been looking around yet , I’m thinking at lease 300+ hp if not 250 will do for now as much as I can get out of something that won’t cost me a fortune

lilbowtie

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Keep your eyes and ears open and you never know what will pop up. What ever you do keep in mind your final goal. Your going to need a gear change and suggest you don't throw any money at the 7.5. I've played w/ SBC's my whole life, they are easy to get power out of and cheap. If I can help just ask.

Reactions: 64nailhead
L

Lostkio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 15, 2020
Keep your eyes and ears open and you never know what will pop up. What ever you do keep in mind your final goal. Your going to need a gear change and suggest you don't throw any money at the 7.5. I've played w/ SBC's my whole life, they are easy to get power out of and cheap. If I can help just ask.
I appreciate it and we both from Michigan wha up , if I need to help I definitely will ask this will be my first not tryna make any bad decisions if you hear about any good deals I’d be happy if you let me know .

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
69hurstolds Had planned on new truck tires. I did end up getting some, but got more than I intended. General Discussion 12
Kennyjoe28 Got an 83 regal limited, trying to restore! Buick Regal / T-Type / Grand National / GNX 4
lilbowtie Got me thinking General Discussion 8
69hurstolds Peak oil- the world will run out of oil in 10 years. Drive 'em while you got 'em OFF TOPIC 3
MrSony #5 GNX Bushing... I've got to have this wrong. Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 10
69hurstolds Got PAID bishes!!!! Corona Dollars OFF TOPIC 102
HAFROD Got a lead on my first car General Discussion 14
Drkuhar Got a Message for some free parts today General Discussion 3
J Finally got one. :) General Discussion 20
Moneybags1650 Just got my first G body G-Body LS Swap 42
hangar401 Got em Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 1
Bonnewagon Think you got problems? General Discussion 4
M Evaporator Question Update 1/31 Got Some Parts Cooling / Heating / AC 41
H Turned key and got NOTHING! 1983 Grand prix 305 Electrical / Ignition / Starting 10
K New to the gbody game!, got a few questions if someone can help! New Users 12
tc1959 Just got my lift delivered. General Discussion 26
jlcustomz Got bored & tried Faux Woodgraining. Photos, Videos, etc. 14
Skippy Got impatient and wanted to drive Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 18
olds307 and 403 Well guess who got an air compressor today and found out his air tools were stolen last night? General Discussion 27
S Help with emissions control decal for a new project New Users 1
R 1978 Malibu Coupe, Vernon,Ct 06066 G-Body Cars for Sale / Trade 0
Skinitbacjac CHEVY Never ending Nova project Non-G Projects 18
jakes87SS take off parts from my 87 monte project G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 1
pagrunt Another big kid-little kid project General Discussion 0
P 1987 Monte Carlo SS Build - Aka Project Grown G-Body Build Threads 36
88 Gutlass My 1988 Cutlass resto project G-Body Build Threads 16
butch2427 my new project, 1981 Malibu 9C1 New Users 16
Blackout79 WANTED looking for 1986 Grand Prix aerocoupe project Wanted 0
CopperNick Project Regress--about those pictures that i promised G-Body Build Threads 1
AlexT Bucket List Car marked off & new project New Users 16
CopperNick Project Regress: Urban myths and legends about re-inforcing Z-Bars Chevrolet Monte Carlo / SS / Malibu 6
CopperNick Project Regress--The "Z"-Bar gets raised, Again!! Chevrolet Monte Carlo / SS / Malibu 1
CopperNick Project Regress gets its water pump painted Chevrolet Monte Carlo / SS / Malibu 0
08Malibu 81 Malibu project restarting G-Body Build Threads 49
Anubis POWER NATION - Regal project General Discussion 28
Ihlaan-J-Nova My Malibu Project New Users 4
Root MY 78 Malibu Project New Users 8
Winkernod Project: T Top Stop Leak General Discussion 33
_michaeld 87 Regal Project New Users 3
Labamm269 REGAL My 1st project! New Users 34
79MaliCrazz BUILD THREAD Project MaliCrazz G-Body Build Threads 6
airboatgreg Dash project General Discussion 6
CopperNick Project Regress- Build vs Buy--the saga continues G-Body Build Threads 0
Chuck Cole EL CAMINO Project Progress.....FINALLY! I'm not the mechanic I once was. G-Body Build Threads 15
CopperNick Project Regress: Progress?? G-Body Build Threads 1
565bbchevy 79' Hurst project. General Discussion 3
Kjohn First restoration project.. New Users 4
Hotrodder383 1983 project Elky Photos, Videos, etc. 0
N New to me 1982 Grand National project basket case Buick Regal / T-Type / Grand National / GNX 309
gdouaire Project face to face Non-G Projects 0