Just got the olds 350 swap done.. and a couple rear end ???s

Status
Not open for further replies.

t_visker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2006
Brookings, SD
ok so i just got done puttin in a performance olds 350 and it feels like it doesnt pull very well off the line and when i have it in drive it doesnt get much over 3 grand before it shifts.. i have a stock rear end..

we put in a shift kit and a 2800 stall.. radical cam.. performance 650 cfm carb.. performance headers and intake manifold. i mean everythings nice on it..

i just wanna know why it doenst pull and why it shifts so weird..

also wat difference would i get w/ 4.10 gearing because thats wat i might do next..

i have an auburn posi unit sittin here that i might order a ring and pinion for.. and has anyone ever had this intalled at a shop.. how much would it cost me?

Could be any number of things. How "radical" is the cam? 650 CFM is what you'd put on a stock 350, so that may be a problem. Is the carb opening up all the way? Is the cam indexed properly? Did you use adjustable rockers? (the stock Olds non-adjustable rockers can't really handle non-stock cams) Do you have fuel pressure throughout the run? Is the ignition system working properly? Did you index the cam and the balancer during buildup (the rubber ring on the balancer can slip, changing the TDC mark) Etc, etc...

RedHotRegal said:
Shift kits and highstall converters work against each other. Maybe that has somthing to do with it.?.?

How do you figure that? So long as the shift speeds are above the stall speed, the two are unrelated.

shift points

like today i took it out again.. and like i sat their held the break and gas.. the tires didn't break this time and it sat their at 2500 rpms.. i let go to go and it slowly accelerated to 2800 rpms then it felt like it was flying but then it shifter at 32-3400 rpms.. this was at wide open throttle..

Re: shift points

t_visker said:
like today i took it out again.. and like i sat their held the break and gas.. the tires didn't break this time and it sat their at 2500 rpms.. i let go to go and it slowly accelerated to 2800 rpms then it felt like it was flying but then it shifter at 32-3400 rpms.. this was at wide open throttle..

What trans is this? It it's a 200-4R, it sounds like the TV cable is not adjusted properly.

kk

I have stock gearing for now and the 200-4r transmission.. we put it up on a hoist and found out the shift linkage was gettin caught by the exhaust..

but onto further things.. it flies now but is super super slow off the line!!

like i hold the brake and the gas and it sits around 2500 when the tires dont break and i let go of the break and it just slowly accelerates like literally lags for a second or two until it hits around 28-3000 rpms then it flies.. oh can i get it to sit at around 2800 rpms or get it so it doesnt lag so bad.. will gearing effect this.. because i plan on upgrading to 3.73s or 4.10s in the near future..

and ona side note.. any tips on installing a floor shifter??

As far as gearing goes, the lower the better. 4.10:1 would make a huge difference, but it would make it a track car only. I have 3.73:1 on mine, and it pulls very hard. Gearing will make the biggest difference off the line. But with a 4spd mabey you can get away with taller gears. Depends on what you want to do with the car. If its shifting too early manually do it, the Detent or TV cable needs to be adjusted correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor