Just picked up this 1978, 4sp, radio delete, 305 2bbl

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj1434

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 29, 2018
DSC01237.JPG DSC01234.JPG DSC01238.JPG DSC01231.JPG Just picked up this 78 305 2bbl, 4sp, radio delete with 82k miles. I bought it because It looked to be a factory 4 speed and I was wondering how I can verify this. It has some M-20 badging on the inside and has no radio, infact It has a panel there with no radio just heater, a/c control and a blank area with no hole cut for a radio. From the vin, I could only decode the body, engine (305), model year etc. How can I find out if It is a true factory 4sp, radio delete and M-20 (muncie trans?). Anyhow, regardless of what this car really is, It looks pretty cool and is pretty fun to drive. Gonna do a few things to It: new hood, possibly a cowl hood, maybe some SS stripes on the hood, tint windows. Any help with figuring out what this car is please let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
If it was built in or originally shipped to Canada, GM of Canada can tell you.

Otherwise, it's hunt for a broadcast (build) sheet

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard AJ.
Looks like you found a nice '78 Malibu wagon. You'll have to post some more pics of the car.
It looks like an interesting find.
First check under the rear seat for the build sheet. They've placed them in various locations in these cars. If I recall correctly, mine was over the headliner board. They've been found above the gas tank, behind a door panel, etc. I wouldn't expect you to start ripping the car apart in search of the build sheet. It might have been found by the previous owner.

aj1434

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 29, 2018

Thanks Brian, Im AJ. I actually had the seats and carpets out and some plastics, bu no build sheet. Havent looked everywhere yet. There is a Z in the vin which I believe is the plant code but I dont know what or where that is.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Build sheets (which were NOT supposed to be left in the cars) have been found in many places, the 82 sedan I recently parted had one under the front seat, above the headliner is a very common spot IF the headliner has not been replaced.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Z is Fremont, California

aj1434

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 29, 2018

Z is Fremont, California
Looked in a few spots, had the seats and carpet out for another reason, no build sheet. I guess Ill have to look in a few more spots.

aj1434

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 29, 2018
Welcome aboard AJ.
Looks like you found a nice '78 Malibu wagon. You'll have to post some more pics of the car.
It looks like an interesting find.
First check under the rear seat for the build sheet. They've placed them in various locations in these cars. If I recall correctly, mine was over the headliner board. They've been found above the gas tank, behind a door panel, etc. I wouldn't expect you to start ripping the car apart in search of the build sheet. It might have been found by the previous owner.
Its pretty cool, gotta do a few things to It. Had the seats and carpet out to get rid of a smell but didnt find a build sheet. AJ

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Its pretty cool, gotta do a few things to It. Had the seats and carpet out to get rid of a smell but didnt find a build sheet. AJ
It just hasn't been discovered yet. It's hiding somewhere in the car.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor