Just upgraded to LS1 front brakes. Spare tire no longer fits. What to do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Just upgraded to LS1 brakes on the front of my '83 El Camino
My original spare wheel with over a 25 year old tire no longer fit the front of my car. LS1 brakes need a minimum 16" wheel to fit. I've got new 16X8 GTA wheels on my car with 235/55R-16 front and 255/50R-16 rear. Rear tires are 26" diameter.

I'm wondering if I should try to find a donut spare from a junkyard that will fit but not sure what cars I would look for for the right size. I saw one place on ebay that sells a new 18X4 wheel with a donut tire that will fit but it's over $300. Seems like a lot of money for something that I probably will never use.

I'm wondering if I need to carry a spare at all. It's been 30 years since I had a blowout flat and needed to put a spare tire on. And, that was back in the day when I ran tires longer than I should. I wouldn't do that anymore.

What about just not getting a spare and getting one of those emergency tire inflator/sealer kits? Doesn't do any good with a blowout though.

So what you guys in my position done?

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Not sure about options in 16" but the guys with the C5 brakes use a Chevy equinox spare for cheap front runners / moving around the shop. They are 17 and clear the Vette brakes

Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Or grab a spare off a 98-02 firebird/camaro. $25-40.

Reactions: 1 users

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Not sure about options in 16" but the guys with the C5 brakes use a Chevy equinox spare for cheap front runners / moving around the shop. They are 17 and clear the Vette brakes
Those might very well work then. Doesn't matter if they are 16, 17 or 18" wheels. But, I'd have to see what circumference the Equinox spare is. Doesn't have to be right on 26" but the closer the better. I'll do some research and see what I can find.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Those might very well work then. Doesn't matter if they are 16, 17 or 18" wheels. But, I'd have to see what circumference the Equinox spare is. Doesn't have to be right on 26" but the closer the better. I'll do some research and see what I can find.
Message me later on tonight and remind me, I can measure the pair I have here.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Message me later on tonight and remind me, I can measure the pair I have here.
I think I found that info.
I was just looking at some spares on ebay. It looks like the 2010 to 2017 Equinox/Terrain came with wheels that are 5X120mm and had T145/70R-17 donut tire spares. I looked up specs for that tire size and they are 25" diameter. I've read that it's OK to have a different size for a posi rear if the diameter is within 95% . 25" is within the 95% of my 26" rears.

Oh and it looks like the Equinox/Terrain would be a better fit than a spare for a '98-'02 Camaro/Firebird. Spares for those are a smaller diameter.

Reactions: 2 users

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
So with some more research, I think I've found a good solution for a spare.

I was able to find this wheel with the proper offset as not to need a spacer:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-84-7734l
With a discount code I can get that for $95 delivered.

And this tire:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MZB4Z5S/?tag=gbody-20
It's a 26.1" diameter. Exactly the same as my rear tires. $54 delivered.

So a total of $149 delivered.
I haven't pulled the trigger yet but am thinking I might do that today. I like the idea of getting a regular tire instead of a donut type. I also like the fact that the tire would be brand new versus one that would be several years old from a wrecking yard. The cost is higher but I think worth the difference.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 users

69bigblock

Apprentice
Sep 27, 2015
Use a 04-06 GTO spare.. got one for my nova about 10 years ago when I did the C5 vette brake upgrade.. 17” spare.. slightly different bolt pattern but it still works for a good spare

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor