Keep '78-'83 Style Radio, or Go 1.5 DIN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
You could do something like I did in my wagon. Not quite factory but I think it fits well.

IMG_1600.JPG

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I am going from the shaft radio to a DIN1.5 Delco radio since my wagon was a factory radio delete car and was dealer aftermarket radio installed when new. Radio was junk so I scrapped it. I wanted factory look and I like the delco 1.5 DIN stuff.

Word of warning, the steel bracket the dash is molded to that the bezel snaps into and the din 1.5 radio bolts to is different. Of the roughly 6 snap clip points 2 or 3 aren't common between the two. Either need to cut new slots or cut the tabs off the bezel and risk the bezel wiggling around on the bottom. Also likely have to make custom radio to dash brackets from what I have seen.

Unless the stuff falls in your lap or you had a radio delete car and total junk to start with, id keep the shaft radio and swap to a modern replacement that looks factory.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

79centurytc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2015
If you want to keep the factory radio, check on hemmings.com. I've seen a couple of people who can upgrade the existing radios & the price seems reasonable.

Nov 4, 2012
I much prefer the factory stereos but if sound is important to you, you can always install a newer stereo in the glovebox and have the best of both worlds.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Having had both, I personally prefer the 1.5 din radio as it gives you more options. That being said, I would not butcher your dash or bezel just to upgrade.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I wouldn't worry about the stereo as much as speakers anyway. I'd be tempted to leave stock radio and use my phone to feed an amp and speakers.

Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My feeling is why go with a modern looking digital dash and then use a retro style radio, plus you can probably find matching woodgrain for both the dash and radio bezel going with 84'-87' for both

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I don't know what the overall build plan is for this wagon, but my impression from earlier posts leads me to believe that it's going to be more in the direction of sleeper than extreme resto-mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor