Keeping a '85 alive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

One More Pontiac...

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2019
CT
I bought this 1985 Grand Prix back in 2005 from the daughter of the original owner for $500. 43,000 miles on the 305, a like new interior, good paint and a decent vinyl top. Had rust on the bottoms of the doors and both sets of hinges were shot, but otherwise it looked nice back then. Brought it home and the 14" wheels and fake spoke hubcaps went in the dumpster:LOL: for a set of 15" Rally II's left over from one of my Grand Am's, several years and 12,000 miles later the now worn out 305 was pulled for a rebuilt low mile 4 bolt 350 yanked from a Camaro about to be junked, I replaced the rotted left door and hinges with clean parts, added the spoiler, and then It got parked for...I don't remember why now:ROFLMAO: 10 years outdoors and several parking spaces later I am finally tired of watching it slowly deteriorate...so now begins the process of making it at least a driver again. As it sits now... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... the measurements and installation procedure for the T/A spoiler were copied from one of the very rare dealership built 1986 'GTO's...made and sold at Napoli Pontiac here in CT, A trip to the pull-n-save looking for better tires yesterday (car runs like *ss after sitting so long:ROFLMAO:) and...there's a 84 GP in with the cars waiting to be crushedo_O Screw the tires, I grabbed the right door... ...and hood... Tonight I plan on going to a friends shop for some after hours lift time, swap the door and hood, fix the hood release, change the oil, check and adjust the brakes, grease the front end, just see how bad is the rust/rot underneath...found out already that the heater fan doesn't work any more, the right door doesn't open from the outside and I think the sheetmetal broke at the bolt hole on the lower track mount as the top of that window wobbles bad when it's up, and none of the locks match so I'll need to recode a set for the car... gonna be a long night!

Reactions: 2 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Another G body being saved is always good news!! :) Best of luck with the project! :)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

One More Pontiac...

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2019
CT
Made some progress this week...got rid of the rotted original right side door and blown out hinges and installed the door/hinges I rescued from the pull-n-save parts car The door was complete except for the interior panels, had just 2 small rust spots, minimal dents:LOL:and the hinges were in almost perfect condition. Before it was hung everything was cleaned and relubed inside and a matching lock coded. The original striker was shot so I used the one from the parts car. Paint was a perfect match on the inside too:cool: ... ... Never disturbed the hinge to door bolts so it lined up nice on the first try and the door opens and closes like it should and the power window works like new. Needs a new outside weatherstrip and some minor bodywork but definitely worth the $25 I paid...oh, and the $25 hood was bolted on as well...it has no rust and a unknown cowl style scoop. I replaced the broken hood release cable with the one from the donor car. The underside of the hood was cut by someone already A oil change and lube is next, and then I'll spend Saturday morning over at the pull-n-save. Thanks for looking and see you soon!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor