Keeping in touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Its been since fall of 2017, when I was driving my 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 4 door home from Maryland. Purchased form the original owners, who I have to say, were the nicest and sweetest people I have ever met. The kind of people you feel as if you have know your entire life, the sincerity and kindness they poured out to me. I will never forget that day for as long as I live, that's the kind of impact they had on me. I have kept in touch and so have they, and the husband ( and wife both now in their late 70's) has been very ill almost ever since I purchased the vehicle form them. I had called them last and he said he would keep in touch and was going through some health issues, and I haven't heard from them since late fall of 2018. Well today I had a surprise phone call from him, and we had a wonderful conversation, what beautiful and loving people they are, and sincerely are my dear friends now. Its truly amazing how kindness goes a long way in life, I plan on staying in contact indefinitely. Have any of you ever purchased a vehicle from a wonderful individual(s) and have kept in touch ever since...share your story , would love to read your experiences. HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!

*PS just for the record, this car has never been driven in the rain or snow EVER. was just pulled out of storage for this picture. 39K original.

1552079008448.png

• Winner
  • In Love
Reactions: 9 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
The guy I got my wagon from was unsure if he wanted to sell it to me or not. Then I showed him pictures of the other cars in my fleet and he was rest assured it was going to a good home. It was actually a better home than it came from because even though it's my beater, it's light years ahead of where it was when I dragged it home from his place. He told me he wanted to see what I ended up doing with it.

After I went through the whole thing and got it to where I was comfortable driving it everyday, I contacted him and took it back to show him. He wanted to buy it back.

Same thing happened with my Delta 88. It was a MUCH NICER car than the wagon when I bought it. He, too, was a little finicky when he learned that I was planning to use it as a driver vs. a restored show car. Still, I went through it, fixed the drooping headliner, upgraded from 14 inch to 15 inch Olds wheels, detailed it inside and out and went through it mechanically. He thought I repainted it.

I'm not super close with either of these guys. But I see them on occasion and they're both glad to see what I've done with "their" cars.

Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I bought the wagon via EBay from a car lot. I found papers in the glove box that linked me back to the original owner. I looked him up and cold-called him. His daughter answered and I told her my story. She hesitated, but handed the phone over to the old guy. He was overjoyed to hear how jazzed I was about the old wagon he had criss-crossed the country in while serving a career in the Air Force. We talked for an hour, I think I made his day. Have not kept in touch, though.

I liked the OP's story.

• Friendly
Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I haven't really kept in touch, per se, but I did manage to find the original owner of my 84 H/O (#19. Earliest known surviving H/O from '84 that is verified to still exist. 1-18 might be out there somewhere, but where?). She was still at the same address in Missouri as to when she bought it new. I called her and spoke with her for nearly an hour about how her husband didn't want to get her that car, that he was afraid she'd hot rod it everywhere, but she didn't. She then offered to send me a few photos of the car in its very early days. She was very nice. Told me how her son drove it somewhere, then some kids stole it and drove it up onto a stop sign where the car got hung up. That's how the front air dam got torn up.

84honew0.jpg

84honew31.jpg

84honew10.jpg

And then I got it from a few owners removed. This is what it looked like when I got it:
my84hurst.jpg

And now:
84hurstolds.jpg

84hurstolds 2.JPG

Reactions: 10 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Love all your stories and pictures everyone!! Thanks a bunch for sharing, hope to see a lot more!! :)

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I delivered Mail to a 93 year old guy for 5 years. I delivered his foot powder from the VA. He had jungle rot like my own Dad had from his service in the Philippines. Every time I asked him to sell me his Pontiac wagon he told me to go F%$# myself. One day it was parked way in the back of the yard and I rang the bell to see what was up. The Son answered and told me they finally had to amputate his feet. I told the Son not to junk the car as I wanted it. "Oh," he said, "YOU are the guy. My Dad said he would NEVER sell it to that ******** mailman. Want to buy it?" I did and as I worked on it I sent pics to the Son. He was very happy his Dad's car was still on the road and that at the Funeral the Rabbi mentioned that they knew his Dad by his station wagon- inseparable. That was 15 years ago and I still email the Son when something major gets done to it.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: 7 users

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
I kept in touch with the salesman that sold me the El Camino for years. He was the used car sales manager, At Lou Grubb Chevrolet . I was working as a tech at Coulter Cadillac here in Phoenix. We crossed paths for twenty years. He passed away in 2004 We still talk to his daughter from time to time. He always loved seeing the El and would brag that he sold t to me.

Reactions: 1 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I delivered Mail to an 93 year old guy for 5 years. I delivered his foot powder from the VA. He had jungle rot like my own Dad had from his service in the Philippines. Every time I asked him to sell me his Pontiac wagon he told me to go F%$# myself. One day it was parked way in the back of the yard and I rang the bell to see what was up. The Son answered and told me they finally had to amputate his feet. I told the Son not to junk the car as I wanted it. "Oh," he said, "YOU are the guy. My Dad said he would NEVER sell it to that ******** mailman. Want to buy it?" I did and as I worked on it I sent pics to the Son. He was very happy his Dad's car was still on the road and that at the Funeral the Rabbi mentioned that they knew his Dad by his station wagon- inseparable. That was 15 years ago and I still email the Son when something major gets done to it.

This is truly a great story, Thanks so much for sharing, Im still laughing about what the son told you his dad said lol

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor