Keeping in touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
It's tough for a senior citizen to give up their car. I remember when I had my shop one of my customers children came to me to buy their mom's car. A G body, I worked it out and bought the ride to resell and make a few bucks. What was tough was looking in in the rear view as I was leaving and seeing her leaning against the garage wall. I was taking her last bit of freedom away. I will never forget that and hope I never experience it as we all know our cars were our first bit of freedom

• Agree
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
It's tough for a senior citizen to give up their car. I remember when I had my shop one of my customers children came to me to buy their mom's car. A G body, I worked it out and bought the ride to resell and make a few bucks. What was tough was looking in in the rear view as I was leaving and seeing her leaning against the garage wall. I was taking her last bit of freedom away. I will never forget that and hope I never experience it as we all know our cars were our first bit of freedom
So true !

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
In terms of “mobility” by the time I’m retirement age, I expect self-driving cars will be pretty common.

As an enthusiast, I’m not thrilled about the prospect of a bunch of drone-mobiles on the road, but as a driver and citizen, I honestly think it would be an improvement over the hordes of distracted drivers with their heads buried in their phones, as well as for the newfound mobility options for seniors and the disabled.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
We just went through this. My Dad is 82 and a bigger car guy than me. He also has dementia. He's a lifelong mechanic and on the day we had to take away his keys, he owned 5 vehicles, a beater pick-up and four special interest cars.

Luckily it's still winter here and he wasn't planning to take out the "good" cars anytime soon, But he kept trying to break into the truck and even went so far as busting open the steering column to try getting it running. He's not understanding the fact that his driver's license is expired and we legally cannot let him get another. The truck had expired registration and no insurance. My brother and I finally had to part it out and get rid of the hulk.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
We just went through this. My Dad is 82 and a bigger car guy than me. He also has dementia. He's a lifelong mechanic and on the day we had to take away his keys, he owned 5 vehicles, a beater pick-up and four special interest cars.

Luckily it's still winter here and he wasn't planning to take out the "good" cars anytime soon, But he kept trying to break into the truck and even went so far as busting open the steering column to try getting it running. He's not understanding the fact that his driver's license is expired and we legally cannot let him get another. The truck had expired registration and no insurance. My brother and I finally had to part it out and get rid of the hulk.

It's tough seeing our parents going through it and we all hope we have the strength to endure

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019

Thank's so much for sharing , and prayers for your dad and family going through all of this :(

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
We just went through this.
I feel your pain. My parents were both reluctant to stop driving. My Dad finally quit when he realized he had no idea which pedal he was using. My Mom drove to the corner and was lost, had no idea where she was. Yet they fight you right to the end. What happens next is YOU are their driver now. That is what they really need.

• Sad

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York

Went through a similar situation with my Dad two years ago. At 80 years of age his health was failing fast. He was insistent he was able to drive until one Saturday he want to the local deli for lunch meat (About 2 miles away) and within 2 minutes of his return, the local police were at the door looking for the driver of the F-150 in the driveway. They stated he was observed driving erratically and they wanted to verify he was not having a medical emergency. Next to having to say my final goodbye to Dad a year ago the hardest thing I had to do was accept his keys from him that day when he realized he could not drive safely any longer. While he was able though....He always had the "Shotgun" position.

• Sad

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Went through a similar situation with my Dad two years ago. At 80 years of age his health was failing fast. He was insistent he was able to drive until one Saturday he want to the local deli for lunch meat (About 2 miles away) and within 2 minutes of his return, the local police were at the door looking for the driver of the F-150 in the driveway. They stated he was observed driving erratically and they wanted to verify he was not having a medical emergency. Next to having to say my final goodbye to Dad a year ago the hardest thing I had to do was accept his keys from him that day when he realized he could not drive safely any longer. While he was able though....He always had the "Shotgun" position.

So very sorry for your loss :(

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
So very sorry for your loss :(

Thanks!
On a brighter note..... I managed to keep in touch with the woman from whom I purchased my blue 79 Monte Carlo. To this day I still refer to it as 'Laura's car' and that I'm just the current caretaker of it. She started modifications to this 13000 mile time capsule (Headers, Duel Exhaust, Torque Thrust Wheels) but felt it was time for another enthusiast to enjoy it. I keep her updated on the changes I've made so far which are slow in happening. Added a 4bbl intake and Q-Jet to the 267, polished out the 40 year old paint (Has shinny primer in places) and went old school black on the spokes of the Torque Thrusts. Adding the factory gauge dash is in process now, after that may be the 406 from the car it replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor