Keeping the Olds Air Injection Reaction (A.I.R) System on a presmog engine swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Has anyone modified either their Oldsmobile Cylinder Heads or headers to accept the AIR system (aka smog pump)? Hopefully within the next few months I'll have my 403 finished and swapped into my Cutlass 442. It's not an issue yet but in the future I'll need to do an emission test on the car and while I'm fairly confident I can pass the tail pipe emissions, there's no way I'll pass the visual if I don't have the smog pump and air tubes installed.

Yes; I know the 403 is a smog engine. Mine will have C heads (I had the heads drilled out to accept the 403 head studs) from a 455 which predates the smog pump system and there's no provisions for installing them. I was thinking I could have them drilled and tapped for the air tubes OR I could weld in bungs to some headers. I'm not sure what the thread pitch is for the AIR system or if weld in bungs are available. I've seen a weld in Chevy system from hedman that may or may not work with Olds headers.

unfortunately for me, I live just a mile or so inside of the "Air Care Colorado" testing zone. grrr and they do a tailpipe test and a visual where they check for AIR system, Cats, EGR and PCV. I plan on running an an Edelbrock RPM that had no EGR; BUT I have the performer I can swap on for the test. Even if the tailpipe emissions are within limits you can still fail the visual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor