Key in ignition buzzer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
I replaced my key switch now buzzer wont turn off. I removed the fuse buzzer stopped but it also is the fuse for the interior lights. Is there anyway to disengage the key switch buzzer without removing the steering the wheel again? Car is a 86 monte carlo ss.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
The buzzer has a module mounted behind the dash near the ebrake pedal. You can unplug this to stop the buzzing.

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
what does the module look like? There are two silver relays one for the flasher the other i dont know then there is a white relay pulled it out nothing happened. above those there is a black one.

Jshock

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
Check you door jamb switch. If that fails it won't stop buzzing. It could just be a coincedence that the switch hit the sh*tter at the same time. Door open push the switch in... No change then boom you know the problem. Good luck.
(And to the low buzz you might just have a worn solenoid. Where the flasher is mounted there is the buzzer you could try replacing it. It's not too expensive like 10 bucks or so)

Jshock

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
So on your fuse block under the dash there are two silver units. One is your flasher and the other should be your buzzer just below the white circle in the upper corner. I don't have a pic on hand I can get one sometime soon for you though.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Jshock said:
So on your fuse block under the dash there are two silver units. One is your flasher and the other should be your buzzer just below the white circle in the upper corner. I don't have a pic on hand I can get one sometime soon for you though.

Are you sure about this? On a Cutlass the chime module is a big plastic red box behind ( I can't recall specifically ) where the rear defog switch is. You can just unplug it. It's a pain to get to too. Again though, this is on a Cutlass. It would seem weird to me if they had a completely differenct setup in a Monte by having it right on the fusebox, but then again, maybe the Monte 'buzzer' is different from the pleasant sounding 'chime' on the Cutlass.

The volume being low is a common problem. The foam in the speaker goes bad. There's a guy on the Olds forums who name I don't recall who fixes them. I got one from him and the low volume issue was solved.

Jshock

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
Gotta say I'm not 100% but on my 79 elky it's right there. It's basically just a flasher unit that when energized vibrates a plate. Mine doesn't even play through the speakers. (No mod but I would like a nice chime instead of an annoying buzz. Or maybe like a voice that speaks to me "you left your lights on again" blah blah blah)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor