Key not turning over engine...84 Monte Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
I can turn it over and start it with a push button starter bumper, but not the actual key...

The purple wire running to the starter is giving power to the starter, and lights on the dash lights up but seems as if the ignition switch is out...

Is there any troubleshooting technique I can use to test the ignition switch, or a fuse that powers the ignition switch I can check ?

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Bought this 20 amp on and off switch to use in place of the ignition switch, because I can't afford a new switch at the moment...

Can I use this to start the car from the inside ?
20210816_073354.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Bought this 20 amp on and off switch to use in place of the ignition switch, because I can't afford a new switch at the moment...

Can I use this to start the car from the inside ? View attachment 181762
You can, but if it’s temporary you might as well just have it hotwired for now.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
You can, but if it’s temporary you might as well just have it hotwired for now.
Probably a permanent thing, I installed a new ignition switch but still can't turn the engine over with the key... I just been using a bump starter to get by for now...

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Reach under the column and find the rod that went into the ignition switch with your left hand. Turn the key and try to start it. Does the rod move? If not there are a few places it can go bad in the column, the nylon gear that is driven by the lock may have the teeth stripped off. Or the rack gear that the nylon gear drives might ne broken where it connects to the rod.

Steering column parts1.jpg

Last edited:

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
I feel like there is more to this story. The ignition switch is a really durable part. Yes they fail but by and large they are the last place to look.
Have you had the column apart? Have you done any underdash work? Have you been doing any electrical work? Change the starter? Change the trans? Will it start in neutral? When did it stop working?

Reactions: 3 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Was the switch aligned on the column & is there an issue with the rod between the lock & switch?
I don't think so, I attached the rod and had it and the switch in the key off position...

Pulled and pushed on it,
I feel like there is more to this story. The ignition switch is a really durable part. Yes they fail but by and large they are the last place to look.
Have you had the column apart? Have you done any underdash work? Have you been doing any electrical work? Change the starter? Change the trans? Will it start in neutral? When did it stop working?
Only dropped the column to replace the switch, no under dash work but looks like the previous owner had an alarm system wired, no electrical work done by me, I replaced the starter, didnt change the trans, it won't start in neutral, and it stopped working when I replaced the starter...

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Which one of the studs did you connect the purple wire to?

GM Solenoid.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor