Key not turning over engine...84 Monte Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
How important is this piece of ceramic on the steering column housing ?

What purpose does it serve and what problems will arise if I break it ?

Screenshot_20210823-131848_Gallery.jpg

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
How important is this piece of ceramic on the steering column housing ?

What purpose does it serve and what problems will arise if I break it ?

View attachment 182315
You can break it, and still steer fine.

But it also makes your vehicle easier to steal.

Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
You can break it, and still steer fine.

But it also makes your vehicle easier to steal.
My steering wheel detaches, if someone was to attempt to steal it, they couldn't steer it lol...

Or maybe cut away a specific area using a dremel tool or just wait until I can afford a starter button...

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
My steering wheel detaches, if someone was to attempt to steal it, they couldn't steer it lol...

Or maybe cut away a specific area using a dremel tool or just wait until I can afford a starter button...
If you aren’t going to use the keys then, you can use a cheap switch or button, run a wire from a +12V source to one pin, and the purple to the other.

Just make sure to lock the car up, and maybe disconnect your battery at night to prevent it from being stolen.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
So you didn't get the column fixed? Did you still want to use the switches?

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
So you didn't get the column fixed? Did you still want to use the switches?
Yea my steering wheel installation kit silver hub is stuck on the column shaft and I can't get behind it to use the lock plate tool and get into the column...

Switches would be a good alternative for now, how would I wire it up to work for me ?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
First you need to pull the terminals from the ignition switch connector. Do one at a time. Reach in from the front with a tiny screwdriver and push the tab down gently just enough to get it to pull out the back. Tab is bent up to catch the back of the connector so it wont push out when you plug the connector in you want to push it nearly flat so it backs out of the connector. Be gentle if you work the tabs too much they break off and you cant put them back as they were.

terminalb.jpg

Pull the red off and put it on the proper terminal on the switch. (switch has 3 terminals one is ground to make the levers light up one is 12V and one is load hopefully the back of the package shows you which terminal is which.

You're going to need a 3 of these things.

2to1c.jpg
2to1b.jpg
2to1 a.jpg

Blue connector on ignition switch -- take the red wire put it on a 2 to 1 and plug into the +12v terminal on the toggle switch use another 2 to1 and plug in the brown and pink wires on the load terminal on the toggle switch. Use the other terminal on the 2 to 1 connected to the red wire to power one of the leads on your remote starter (rob a terminal and wire from that abandoned relay perhaps) connect the other lead from your remote starter to the purple lead.

Black connector on ignition switch -- Red to +12 on second toggle switch, use a 2 to 1 to hook the brown white stripe wire and the orange wire to the load connector on the toggle switch.

Connect ground wire terminals to ground if you want the toggles to light up when on.

Last edited:

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Take pics of everything so you can put it back like it was in the future if you choose to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor