Key stuck in ignition switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

moroso321

Apprentice
May 29, 2020
Spring Hill Florida
Does anybody have a fix for a key that's stuck in the ignition switch? I have a 1986 Buick Regal with a small block chevy 350 in it. I've dismantled everything up to the ignition switch, but when I re-install the switch the key does not want to go backwards or out the ignition switch. I need a little guidance guys. And thank you in advance.

moroso321

Apprentice
May 29, 2020
Spring Hill Florida
sorry i had to include a picture of my car.

Attachments

• IMG_1202.jpg
    IMG_1202.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 132

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Was the key worn? I assume you rotated it to ‘off’ and it’s still trapped. There is one more detent counter-clockwise from off that turns on the radio and accessories. Make sure you didn’t end up there, as it may hold in the key.

Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If you have the column apart, it may be worth your while to replace the cylinder - you get a fresh pair of keys and the door locks are unaffected. I think there is only one screw holding it in place after you have the lock ring and turn signal switch out.

Nice ride! I envy the shiny paint.

Reactions: 1 users

moroso321

Apprentice
May 29, 2020
Spring Hill Florida
Was the key worn? I assume you rotated it to ‘off’ and it’s still trapped. There is one more detent counter-clockwise from off that turns on the radio and accessories. Make sure you didn’t end up there, as it may hold in the key.
I'm one step before starting the car. The key could possible be worn. didn't pay attention. but the when I place it on accessories, lights work. I'm just a little frustrated because I just swapped a brand new small block chevy and I can't get it start it.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Is the shift linkage adjusted right? Is there play in the shifter?
Just for laughs, if you disconnected the shift linkage and played with the shift lever, does the key work again?

Reactions: 5 users

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
I agree I bet it's not in park.

Rotate the collar on the column as far counter clockwise as it will go. That's Park.

Turn the key all the way counter clockwise now, (toward you) and it should come out.

Usually these GM keys don't get stuck in the ignition when worn. They usually come out of the ignition in any position when worn.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

moroso321

Apprentice
May 29, 2020
Spring Hill Florida
If you have the column apart, it may be worth your while to replace the cylinder - you get a fresh pair of keys and the door locks are unaffected. I think there is only one screw holding it in place after you have the lock ring and turn signal switch out.

Nice ride! I envy the shiny paint.
Yes ssn696, I have the ignition switch and key out. I think I will do as you have suggested. Hopefully, I wound have the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor