Keyless Entry Install - 87 El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

g3chevy

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2019
Spring, Texas
A few weeks ago I started searching around on this forum and youtube for info or a video on the installation of an aftermarket keyless entry system that would work well with our vehicles. Couldn't really find anything specific so I jumped in head first today and figured out how to do it. I purchased a Bulldog Security Keyless Entry system for my 75 Chevelle last year and never got it to work correctly. So I got to thinking that it might work on my 87 El Camino since it already incorporates a relay to activate the power door locks. With a little trial and error I figured out how to wire it correctly. Here's a quick video overview of how I did it. Hope this helps someone else with their install.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
I used the bulldog RKE kit on my F150 and it was pretty easy to install. It's been working just fine for over a year now. Maybe you got a bad kit or something?

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Wiring almost ANYTHING in a car baffles me. I bought a Viper kit. When I saw the directions with everything the kit could operate (I only wanted the door lock function) I got a pro to do the installation. Works great

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have an Ungo system in the GP that I put in years ago, it's still working great...

g3chevy

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2019
Spring, Texas
Somewhere in past postings there is info of using late '90's/early 2000's GM factory set up.

I saw the post for the factory GM keyless entry but I didn't want to take a chance on it not being able to test it first. This Bulldog setup was only $35 a year or so ago on Ebay and I didn't have to pull it out of an old vehicle. Just did a new search and found the cheapest one is now $50. Still not a bad price. Later on down the road I may upgrade this unit with one that has remote starting. We'll see what my budget says I can do lol.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
When I was looking at getting my second remote for the poppers working I had kicked around one of the new autoloc setups that had keyless entry and push button start. I would still like to get into that but not sure how to make it all work with the door poppers correctly

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
When I was looking at getting my second remote for the poppers working I had kicked around one of the new autoloc setups that had keyless entry and push button start. I would still like to get into that but not sure how to make it all work with the door poppers correctly
You would need a channel and output for each door. After that, it's just a relay to throw voltage at the pop solenoid. You could probably also just use the unlock pulse; that way, you could do driver's door priority- one unlock push gets the driver door, 2 pushes hits the passenger (if the system has the capability).

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You can have your car taken off the road by the cops for removing door handles. It's a safety issue if for any reason the door has to be open from the outside during an emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor