Kilduff lightning rods in factory console in an '86 442

Status
Not open for further replies.
SANY2100.JPG
Started by removing the factory shifter and bracket. I made a 1" tall spacer to lift the console and move it back, these shifters are pretty big. I plan to lift the carpet to fill the gap to the console base
SANY2101.JPG
I made this saddle bracket to hold the shifter to the tunnel.
SANY2102.JPG
Here is the shifter where I want to place it. I had to angle the front corner so it would sit a little lower.
SANY2099.JPG
Here it is on the floor with the lower console in place. Next is the point of no return, chopping the center out of my mid and top console plates.

SANY2103.JPG SANY2104.JPG
I forgot to snap some pics of the dissection of the console, but here you can see it setting back together.
SANY2107.JPG SANY2108.JPG
With the seat, but nothing is bolted down yet, hopefully get to that this weekend. I want do something with those knobs, too big for my taste. I might go with polished aluminum or chrome handles on the three to the right.
SANY2109.JPG
Here is the linkage for the B&M cable on left, my original on the right and a new one to chop up that came from Mikes. I'll post up some more pics when I get further along.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Damn looks awesome! I got lazy and decided to just go with the GP center console instead of making my factory one work lol

Thanks, I was apprehensive about cutting the console. I measured it about a hundred times, it does swell out he front of the console a little. I can trim a bit more with a small belt sander. Did you lube the cable before the final assembly on yours?

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Very nice. The lighting rods look right. Now I'm debating on either a ratcheting horseshoe shifter or the rods. Might go with the rods looks like an easy installation

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I didn't lube the cable or anything like that. Didn't even know that was a thing lol. No issues here and it's been 3 years.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Looks awesome!

SANY2123.JPG
SANY2124.JPG
SANY2125.JPG

I used anchor nuts in the floor to mount the shifter to the floor, I had to cut the left front corner of the shifter at an angle just like the right side to get the front of the shifter low enough to set level.
After the console was fastened together I had to remove the primary shift lever to get the console over the shifter body.
In the bottom pic you can see the shift lever installed, now the column locks with the trans in park.
These things feel awesome, cant wait to drive it.

442_87

Apprentice
Jul 19, 2014
Looks awesome!!!

Was thinking of installing a quicksliver on my 87 442, but now you got me second guessing it .

Which Killduff unit did you get , the ones with 16inch levers?

They are the shortest rods I think. I remember requesting 13" to the top of the ball. I can measure tonight if I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor