KYB Excel-G or KYB Gas Adjust, which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
My shocks on my blue 1979 Cutlass Calais are going on 20 years old and I think they are due for some replacing. I have replaced the ones on my 79 H/O with the KYB Excel-G's all the way around. So, my initial thought was go with the same for the Calais since the suspension is the same as the H/O.

But, I'd like to get as best handling I can and I was wondering if the KYB Gas Adjusts might perform better than the Excel G's? Is anyone using the KYB Gas Adjust shocks? Also, would Bilstein be even better, I saw somewhere they make a black shock but I lost the site that sold them and can't re-find it.

Thx.

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
The excel G is the stock replacement shock, the gas adjust are the upgraded performance. I have gas adjust for my car for when I start putting it back together. I work at a parts store and sell them all the time.

Reactions: 1 user

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
I can't give a comparison between the two but I will only buy Bilstein from now on.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
As mentioned....Excel-g is the standard replacement & good quality. The Gas-A-Just are a much firmer shock. This is great in some apps & not so much in others. If the remainder of the suspension is lower & set-up w/higher (stiffer) spring rates you don't notice it as much.

Most of my experience has been using them on C10's though. The Excel-g's offered a better ride quality if used on a properly lowered truck. The Gas-A-Justs were too harsh. But, if someone were going cheap & just snipping coils to get things low, the G-A-J shocks helped keep things from bottoming out.

When I tried using them on g-bodys, I usually combined them w/spindle change to lower the vehicle. I liked the Excel-g's better for ride quality,

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Gas adjusts are the cheapest shocks I'll buy.

Monroe's and others will blow out quickly 10k or less on my experience.

Excel G might be slightly softer on ride quality but honestly a stock G body is so floaty the tighter shock helps control the super float springs sightly in my opinion.

I've had more than one person tell my my former century wagon with stock by springs, f41 swaybars, blazer front spindles and just gas adjusts is the most comfortable but not boaty car they've been in. I can't say the same with my cutlass that had Monroe's on it.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Gas adjusts are the cheapest shocks I'll buy.

Monroe's and others will blow out quickly 10k or less on my experience.

Excel G might be slightly softer on ride quality but honestly a stock G body is so floaty the tighter shock helps control the super float springs sightly in my opinion.

I've had more than one person tell my my former century wagon with stock by springs, f41 swaybars, blazer front spindles and just gas adjusts is the most comfortable but not boaty car they've been in. I can't say the same with my cutlass that had Monroe's on it.
I've never had a g-body that wasn't lowered. Your description of the Gas-a-Just/stock spring height combo sounds very possible.

I'm currently using Bilsteins for the rears on my Malibu.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Vote for Bilstein here. Night and day to any parts store shock. They are more money, but they noticeably better than any thing else I've used. Excellent performance, ride and longevity.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
I saw OPG has the black ones, I'd prefer them over that banana loud yellow they make. Sure, color has nothing to do with performance, but............

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I had a mix of Excel G and Gabrial gas shocks on my Regal and they rode fine with the 15" tires but when I went to 17" and added some suspension upgrades it was a rough ride on our crappy roads so I then decided to upgrade to the Bilsteins and they made a night and day difference in ride quality and luckily I was able to sell my old shocks that were still like new
I'll drive around with yellow and blue shocks when it makes this much of a difference..

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Yeah the only problem with Bilstein is that they look like big bird had a tryout to join the blue man group.

I do remember that there are two levels of f firmness on the Bilstein.

I used to get gas adjusts for $100 for the set on rebate. They are $150 now

A set of bilsten runs $400

A set of single adjustable qa1 runs $600

A set of double adjustable Vikings runs $800

A set of bottom rung cheap shocks is $75-80 and I've always felt spending the extra $25 is 100% with it to get the kybs. My thought has always been if I'm spending $400 because I care that much about shock quality I can spend a more and get the best. My brain has always thought the difference between $100 and $400 is x4 and $400 to $800 is only x2, but just food for thought.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor