L31 Vortec 350 Clearance Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

wstefan20

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2018
Alright, so I just "inherited" a 1984 Monte Carlo SS project car that someone attempted to swap a L31 vortec 350 in with the stock TH350. Unfortunately, the power steering pump pulley is just barely touching the rack tower. I've never heard of this issue before and tried searching for issues like it and cam up with nothing.

The frame doesn't look bent or anything, so I'm a bit concerned what's going on, or what I need to do to correct this. Here's the picture of what's touching:

20180913_110354.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice!

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Convert to stock brackets & p/s pump or find an late third gen F-Body/late '80's B-Body serpentine set up off an TBI car. Unless you're going with some exotic intake those would be a solution.
airinjectdelete.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Even a TBI Silverado will work fine and move the Pump away from the p/s box. Here's mine with '95 Silverado brackets
IMG_20180329_205118.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

wstefan20

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2018
Darn! I was trying to keep from having to swap everything. Any chance some of the parts are the same with different brackets? Would 4.3 s10 brackets work? Thanks again.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Yes, I believe they will work fine too. Matter of fact I think they are the same as the Silverado ones

wstefan20

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2018
Perfect! Looks like the power steering is for sure the same, but the alternator is different, and so are the other pulleys, but I'm headed to the junkyard Saturday so I'll have to post how things go!

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Youve got some room to slide the motor back too..

Im sure there is a smaller pulley available you could swap in as well, common problem with the LS stuff , same pulley hitting in the same spot

wstefan20

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2018
Someone mentioned "moving the engine back a bit" in another thread. What would I need to do to accomplish this? Is there that much play in the mount bolts, or would I have to slot them? It's just barely touching so if I could avoid having to swap the belt setup, I'm all game!

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
The shouldnt be play in the stock mounts, the solid engine mounts that everyone sells has about 1/4 or you can move the mounts back, you have until the fuel pump hits the frame.

Reactions: 1 user

wstefan20

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2018
Thanks MC96! I think I'll find a way to "push it back a bit" just so I can get it running. The more I think about it, I've got a 4L80e sitting in my garage, and can get a decent LQ4 for $200, so I'm thinking I'm just going to get it running and "driving" so that I can show a potential buyer the engine is still good, then just doing a swap. I feel it will be much more economical and fun in the long run. Though, I was kind of looking forward to messing with a carburetor for the first time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor