HELP landau top to hardtop advice question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
hey Guys, So i know my regal has rust issues around the landau top, as well as above the door by the drip rail and when we go to paint, I plan on removing the landau anyway.

my question is, will i need to remove the headliner if I plan on welding up the rivet holes? will the heat transfer damage the new liner?

my dilemma is i need to get car on road now, and I basically finished painting all interior pieces and have new carpet, etc...but i dont have the money for the paint job I want right now. so the plan was to put interior back in and get the car on the road. in a few months when I save up enough to do the bodywork and paint correctly i will address it.

i know its kind of backwards thinking in that when we go to paint it will be unavailable again, and now that everything is out is the time to address it, but that will just delay everything and this car will be a daily driver for my son, who needs it for his job. not a hobby weekend thing.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The short answer is yes, you should remove the headliner before welding on the roof.

It doesn't take long to pull a headliner back out to do work. Best practice would be seal those holes from the inside at least with a lethal tape or duct tape from behind/inside the car to keep water from getting inside.

Water would still get places it doesn't belong like between the qtr layers and into the rockers... but for now, that may be the best bet plus sealing from the outside as well.

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
The short answer is yes, you should remove the headliner before welding on the roof.

It doesn't take long to pull a headliner back out to do work. Best practice would be seal those holes from the inside at least with a lethal tape or duct tape from behind/inside the car to keep water from getting inside.

Water would still get places it doesn't belong like between the qtr layers and into the rockers... but for now, that may be the best bet plus sealing from the outside as well.

thank you ,, i was afraid of that. im more worried about breaking all these clips i just bought to install the liner but i guess that should be the least of my worries. amazingly, since I have all the interior out now, none of the rust I am seeing outside has made it through the metal. from the inside those areas look good. there is some very minor flash rust on the entire top that I will encapsulate before installing headliner

i am actually thinking i should just grind off the bubbling areas, and get down to bare metal and hit it with some bondo glass or kitty hair and epoxy primer until it can be properly addressed in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor