Lastest picture of your wagon....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
Local Hero: What kind of roof rack is that? I like it!

Thanks! The original rack was missing when I got the car. All the holes were siliconed shut. In the function over form department, I wanted one back on it because I actually use it.

I got this one from a guy on ClassicOldsmobile.com. He claims it was off a full-size "flat-top" Olds wagon, not a Vista Cruiser probably late 60s or early 70s. Based on where the holes lined up, it was considerably wider than what I would have had, and also quite a bit shorter. I cut this one down to fit the width. And I only had to fill the holes where the original front mounts would have been. For the ribs, they're just strips of aluminum bar stock from the hardware store and stainless screws.

For the rear, I narrowed it up on the ends. For the front, there was a big dent right in the middle so that's where I cut it and you can see the joint. I sleeved the inside with a piece of wood but it was still pretty weak, so you can see the little "leg" brace I added for extra support in the front.

The whole thing works dandy and has just the right amount of patina to match the rest of the car..

IMG_3057.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Mark,
That looks like a well made, sturdy luggage rack compared to the original G-body wagon racks, which I think were cheesy. My original rack got tossed in the trash years ago. Roof racks do come in handy on occasion. I wanted a removable one that clips into the rail gutters, You can find that type anymore. I guess they were dated more towards 60's and '70's cars.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Jack, I'd bet you could adapt the ladder racks I see on vans all the time to work on a wagon. Still big sellers around here for heat/air guys, plumbers, and independent phone/alarm guys.

I couldn't GIVE my roofracks away, I think I still have the one off the avatar wagon. Funny how guys without them are dying for a roofrack, and I (don't care for them) can never find wagons without them

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Mark,
That looks like a well made, sturdy luggage rack compared to the original G-body wagon racks, which I think were cheesy.

Yeah, I think it just looks "right" on there and didn't want something newer and more modern like off a van or SUV. I use it all the time hauling ladders, 8ft folding tables, and we strap our chairs and kids' baseball equipment up there in the Spring because our 70lb Golden Retriever rides in the cargo area.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack, I'd bet you could adapt the ladder racks I see on vans all the time to work on a wagon. Still big sellers around here for heat/air guys, plumbers, and independent phone/alarm guys.

I couldn't GIVE my roofracks away, I think I still have the one off the avatar wagon. Funny how guys without them are dying for a roofrack, and I (don't care for them) can never find wagons without them
Brian,
I didn't even think of using ladder racks off of a van. Well, I guess I removed the rack for a reason, besides it being in not the greatest shape. I opted for the clean look.
Still, a modified ladder rack could be useful on occasion to haul a ladder or plywood.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Yeah, I think it just looks "right" on there and didn't want something newer and more modern like off a van or SUV. I use it all the time hauling ladders, 8ft folding tables, and we strap our chairs and kids' baseball equipment up there in the Spring because our 70lb Golden Retriever rides in the cargo area.
Mark,
At least you use your wagon for what they were intended for....hauling stuff. I use to use mine as a little truck, hauling ladders, lumber, body panels, etc.

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
I opted for the clean look.

I'm all about the clean look on cars that I really care about. I shaved the emblems on my Delta 88 before I painted it. Did the same thing on my wife's Delta 88 Vert. And my custom Cougar is shaved everything: emblems, door handles, side view mirrors, side marker lights, wheel lip and rocker panel moldings and radio antenna. Even the removable fender extensions and front chin spoiler and all molded in.

On the wagon, I removed the wheel lip moldings and rocker panel trim too. That stuff was all beat up and the P.O. had rattle canned overspray all over everything. A total mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor