leak somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

awdblazer

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2013
i got a vacuum pump for coolant system for christmas
i am having some problems
if i pull off the rad cap i can pull it down to -5 and when i turn off the vacuum it slowly goes back to zero
if i pull a vacuum on the upper rad hose removed at the rad i can get -25 ish
if i pull the lower rad hose off i can get maybe -2
do i have a leaky radiator and leaky water pump?
thanks for you help

mccormack944

Apprentice
Mar 31, 2018
Ohio
Do you think you have a leak or just trying to check for leaks and fill with coolant? You may just not be getting a good seal from the tool to the radiator. The one I have at work will do that and while the air is flowing I have to keep pushing it down and kind of rocking it back and forth before it will seal and shoot up to about 27.5 in on mine.

awdblazer

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2013
Yah I tried that and didn’t work
I guess next step is to buy a new rad cap and put a air fitting and pressurize it to ten ish psi and try to find the leak
I hope it’s not my rad as it’s a copper rad

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Do you have coolant on the floor? Wamr the car up to operating temp. If you have a leak it will appear magically on the floor. Does the passenger side have the sweet smell of coolant?

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Last time I testested a radiator I cut a Mountain bike inner tube and hose clamped it to the inlet outlet and pressurized it. Sucking on a cooling system may unseal things that seal under pressure.

If someone sealed their cooling system with an egg, a vacuum will undo all of the effort and out of the toolbox thinking a previous owner put into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor