LEAKING OIL FILTER HOUSING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magolds84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2021
Hello All,

I been having some oil pressure issues with my 84 Cutlass 3.8. I pulled the oil filter housing off the front cover and installed new gears, relief valve, spring, and gasket. Nevertheless, I still have low pressure triggering the light on hot idle. But, now, I also have an oil leak. I had the cover off 3 times and it's still leaking at the top of the housing where it meets the front cover and runs down the right side. I can't see anything obvious that would cause this. I used the gasket that came in the melling kit, but it seems to me it's alot flimsier that the original. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm to the point of frustration. Lol

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Is the cover worn out? Did you check the gear clearances?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
On the low oil pressure did you use install the new gear thrust plate kit too? Melling part number P20I (P 20 I as in India). On the leak would need pics of it apart.
P20I.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Magolds84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2021
I did check end clearance which I got around .002. You can see the wear marks from the old gears on the filter housing. I did not install the thrust plate, but ordered it since it needs to come off again. I don't have it back apart yet, but will post pics this week when I get to tearing back into it. The gasket that came in the pump kit is as thin as a piece of paper and was crumpled up. I made sure it was straight when I installed it, but just seems pretty thin compared to the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor