Leaking Valve Covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have a problem with the driver's side valve cover leaking at the back just a bit of oil that ends up on the the exhaust just past the collector. The covers are the stock center bolt. I have the fel pro blue gaskets and I'm wondering if the cover may be warped, I don't think it's from over tightening. Anyone have any suggestions or fixes? Thanks

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Reactions: 1 user

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
I would check if its warped.Then fix them with a file. or replace them .And put a thin coat of RTV on your valve cover gasket.I usually Fel Pro thick rubber impregnated cork gasket on mine .Never had an issue afterword.

Attachments

• image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 158

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would check if its warped.Then fix them with a file. or replace them .And put a thin coat of RTV on your valve cover gasket.I usually Fel Pro thick rubber impregnated cork gasket on mine .Never had an issue afterword.

it's just a valve cover and gasket and there should not be a need to put on a layer of rtv. I like keeping things that should not be complicated as simple as possible. I'll look into the Fel Pro thick rubber impregnated cork gasket

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
it's just a valve cover and gasket and there should not be a need to put on a layer of rtv. I like keeping things that should not be complicated as simple as possible. I'll look into the Fel Pro thick rubber impregnated cork gasket
I've never had good luck with cork gaskets, I've always used rubber but they are getting hard to find.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I use Moroso blue rubber gaskets for my BBC and now for my SBC but I am also running aluminum fabricated valve covers with a billet rail.

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
I'm thinking it's the rocker cover as those should never leak when using those gaskets.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor