Leaking window, please help stop the water!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
This only occurs during in one of two situations, Heavy downpours for a period of time ore a long penetrating mist for a long period of time. I have an Monte Carlo LS with a full vinal top.

The driver's side rear window leaks from the top. I have re-sealed it on the top but it still leaks in the above mentioned situations. Any ideas how else water is getting in? What needs to be done to seal it? I can see slight drips on the glass. The most water in the car is a damp portion of the rear seat.

What interior damage may I have? I plan to remove the rear seat bottom to replace the middle seatbelt anyway shortly. Hope to do this at the same time.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I used some sealant from the auto parts store. Per the instructions supposedly all I needed to do was run the applicator along the edge of the window. It did work for all but the two situations I mentioned above. I have never removed a window and since it was tinted did not want to take a chance of breaking it and then having to match the tint on a replacement.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Are you talking about the rear quarter windows?

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The rear quarter windows are bolted to the body with speed nuts and use butyl tape to seal them. You probably need to unbolt the windows out, remove the old tape and laydown some new butyl tape down. Be careful, butyl tape is very messy stuff.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
The rear quarter windows are bolted to the body with speed nuts and use butyl tape to seal them. You probably need to unbolt the windows out, remove the old tape and laydown some new butyl tape down. Be careful, butyl tape is very messy stuff.

So they are bolted from the inside and then taped? Or is this a double sided type tape? Sorry but I have only installed house windows.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
It is more of a tar like sealant in a strip form on a backing tape. It is thick and sticky on all the sides. It will stick to everything and takes lighter fluid to remove. The tape goes between the glass and frame and the outside metal trim has studs that goes though the body.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA

That's all good info but his car has a full vinal top and I did think that the qtr windo could just be reinstalled easily after removal. Someone else with landau experience will need to chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor