Leaking??

Status
Not open for further replies.

1986monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 18, 2013
Sarasota, Fla
So my car has long since been swapped for a 355 that makes around 450 hp (bump that h/o 305)

So a few days ago, I was stuck in traffic, and i see some smoke come from the heater vents (shouldn't happen because i have no ac assembly except heater and the components on the firewall)

I checked the leak and it seems to be leaking right from under that whole assembly (Assuming its where the coolant circulates for your heater)

It was minor at first now its becoming a major leak, leaks down the firewall makes its way to the headers and just smokes up a storm... I was curious if any one else has experienced this and how you went about fixing the problem

thanks... Rico

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm not familiar with the set up in a non ac car and in mine if it leaked it would drip on the passenger floor, not down the firewall. I also found (after it leaked) on the "new" heater cores the neck was poorly soldered and it started leaking after a few months. I redid the solder and it's fine.

1986monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 18, 2013
Sarasota, Fla
I mean it was an a/c car, the components have mostly been removed, no compressor, no evaporator ect ect

And it doesn't leak down the floor, the hoses aren't cracked, it just leaks down the firewall on to the headers where it proceeds to smoke like a blunt

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
1986 monte said:
I mean it was an a/c car, the components have mostly been removed, no compressor, no evaporator ect ect

And it doesn't leak down the floor, the hoses aren't cracked, it just leaks down the firewall on to the headers where it proceeds to smoke like a blunt
I would have the cooling system pressure tested It will make it apparent where the coolant is coming from.
You might be able to rent a pressure tester from Auto Zone.

Attachments

• pressuretester.jpg
    pressuretester.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 355

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would replace the heater core it is the only thing behind the case that holds coolant and if your heater hoses are not new I would replace those at the same time.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
1986monte said:
could I eliminate it all in all?

i mean none of my ac components or heat are connected, i guess i dont need it do i?

I wouldn't eliminate it if you drive your car on the street and it's an easy job to r & r a heater core and the heater hoses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor