Lean idle mixture only in drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I have a weird idle issue with my L69 305. In park I can easily set the air fuel solenoid dwell to 30 degrees in park. However, most instructions state to set the mixture solenoid dwell in drive in which the computer is stuck in rich mode offsetting a lean mixture., Again in park the dwell varies and hovers around 30 degrees like it should but s steady at 8 degrees in drive. The curb idle in drive is set at 600 rpm and the engine does have a stable smooth idle despite the steady rich command. I have the needle mixture screws turned 4 1/2 turns out and using the IAB valve to fine tune the idle mixture.

I would think a vacuum leak would affect idle both in drive and park and prevent getting a proper dwell reading in either gear. Could it be a fuel flow issue? Currently I have a dead head pressure regulator installed between the stock return style fuel pump and the carb set to 7 psi. Cliff Ruggles says Qjets can take 8 psi and the factory repair manuals say different fuel pressures ranging from 7 to 9 psi depending which manual you read. Higher fuel pressures do seem to rasie the mixture solenoid dwell, (leaner command).

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Bump.

Other thing I think it could be is an false lean reading caused by an exhaust leak. I replaced the head to header gaskets but had to loosen the pipe flanges to do so. With the old TES headers the O2 sensor bung is close to the doughnut pipe flange. Possible its getting a false lean reading due to an exhaust leak and reversion? https://gbodyforum.com/threads/exhaust-doughnuts.85722/#post-911863

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor