Leather seat reupholstery covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
So, the seats on our 2002 Yukon XL aren't bad... but 19 years in, aren't great either.

Given the rest of the truck only has 12x,*** miles on it, I'm thinking investing in new covers BEFORE they start to open holes up isn't a bad idea. There are some worn creases that can't hold forever. Possibly made worse by impending liberal use of the heat functions.

I found this company online:

And was wondering if anyone here ever heard of them. Price seems reasonable... says MADE IN USA which is a huge plus. They talk a good game and sound nice enough... except it refers to the installer needing to cut a hole on the side for the controls. Then the light in my brain goes off saying, "hey, why can't you guys ship these with the holes in place? Is there that much variance on used seat frames when installing that fear of exposed edges is a problem? Or what?

Or, has anyone here redone seats on an early gmt800 (99-02) with a source they'd recommend for a leather cover?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
A few years back, wife bought a Flex that had leather covers installed (OE was cloth). Looked good for about 3 years, then they began to crack, revealing just how thin this type cover is. Buddy had Katzkin covers on his GMC, were "OK" had some cracking on driver seat, but they did warranty that one cover.

Don't know about your outfit, but I'm not impressed by the others.

After owning a few cars with leather, I now try to stay with cloth. Leather is great for the OG buyer, but on the used market, they seem to degrade quickly on stuff over 10-12 years old......IMO

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Most GM factory "leather" in that era is mostly crap. And mostly leather "seating areas" meaning leather inserts only. Sides and backs were cloth or naugahyde. Whether they've gotten better over the years is yet to be seen. I had leather in the '02 Camaro SS and it was some of the crappiest leather. Didn't wear it out with only 30K miles on it when I sold it, but it seemingly was showing more wear than I believe a 30K mile car should. Currently, we have "leather" in the Cadillac, the GMC truck, and the Chevy Camaros. 12K on the 2010 Camaro and I put covers on it since week 1 moreso because they were light gray. The leather is holding up extremely well so far.

All my trucks up until this latest one had cloth for the very reasons previously described. The leather was thin, wrinkles, cracks, and I saw too many other trucks with the "issue".

Everyone I know that's ever went to leather went with Katzkin and were happy with them. The way they look, feel and fit, I'd probably go with them too. Can't say much about longevity but they do seem to be popular.

To note, the company you're asking about I have no personal dealings with, but they do seem reasonable. I think the reason they don't come with the cutouts is likely because they don't have to do any more trimming than needed and the installer needs to finish off the details. Especially if a customer says the opening is slightly off. Maybe they did that at first and got too many complaints? Shouldn't be too much trouble I wouldn't think.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Never mind. I don't see anything that old on the Katzkin website. I'd probably roll with autoseatreplacement.com especially if you're doing it yourself. It looks like for about 550-600 you can redo your entire front seats with new leather. That's not terribly bad at all. I wonder about the foam buns, though.

Looks like this place has some seat buns if you need them for about 100 bucks per butt. Should accept the seat heaters.

Keep asking the questions and we'll end up spending all your money... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
Got the lt grey leather in my 04 SUV and black leather in the 08 cobalt ss and only the entry part of the seat is starting to crack and I use the heated seats all the time in both and I got kids in the back

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Keep asking the questions and we'll end up spending all your money... :)
Aren't projects like this EXACTLY what the gubmint intended with the free money they sent?

Buying made in the USA putting our workers to err... work.

If I head an issue off at the pass.... maybe so be it. The right way to go might be to redo a second set of seats, that way if something goes awry I haven't torn up the originals that are still serviceable, just starting to show wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor