LED advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I ended up changing over the dash bulbs in both 79 Monte Carlo and the 88 Super Sport to these from Super bright LEDs The difference in the SS was well worth the time.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...919/?year=1979&make=16&model=1191&scc_id=1416
They are dimmable and are not polarity sensitive.

Before
P1012138.JPG

After
P1012154.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
So I went to Advance to order some battery acid and I checked out the lights. They have the regular Sylvania LED 194's 2-pack for $17. The ZEVO are $21 a 2-pack but not stocked at my store. The Dorman 5050SMD is $10 each but not available (?). All are a few bucks cheaper on Fleabay. They also had LED amber 1157's but no red or clear.

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Sorry to hijack the post, but I'm also curious about this new-wave of LED Lights for the older cars... I was lookin at them Halo LED Headlights I was told by a friend they have "legal" issues in certain states... anyone knows more about that?

Looking at these. I just noticed they are not "Plug & Play" which I'm looking for rather not splice new wiring in my harness.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
So I went to Advance to order some battery acid and I checked out the lights. They have the regular Sylvania LED 194's 2-pack for $17. The ZEVO are $21 a 2-pack but not stocked at my store. The Dorman 5050SMD is $10 each but not available (?). All are a few bucks cheaper on Fleabay. They also had LED amber 1157's but no red or clear.
I have the red and clear 1157's too. The reds are in the taillights. I got them from Autozone. Check Walmart too, they're usually $14ish for the 1157's...
20191001_232227.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Sorry to hijack the post, but I'm also curious about this new-wave of LED Lights for the older cars... I was lookin at them Halo LED Headlights I was told by a friend they have "legal" issues in certain states... anyone knows more about that?

Looking at these. I just noticed they are not "Plug & Play" which I'm looking for rather not splice new wiring in my harness.
Most states have laws regarding light color- white or amber in front, red in the rear. Red and blue in the wrong places can get you hemmed up on an impersonation charge if the cop has his draws too tight. Back in the day when under car neon was hot, the cops would pull the rule, and write you an inspection ticket. Halos are fine in the ice cream stand parking lot, but don't drive with them on.

I think they're stupid, anyway. :banana:

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
When I first installed LED's in my Monte I realized you have to color match your LED's to the color of your lens otherwise if they are too bright they will whitewash through the lens color and not evenly distribute the light.
For my Regal dash lights I had to buy a couple different style 194 LED's to match the intensity between my dash and my aftermarket trio gauge.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Most states have laws regarding light color- white or amber in front, red in the rear. Red and blue in the wrong places can get you hemmed up on an impersonation charge if the cop has his draws too tight. Back in the day when under car neon was hot, the cops would pull the rule, and write you an inspection ticket. Halos are fine in the ice cream stand parking lot, but don't drive with them on.

I think they're stupid, anyway. :banana:

Ahhh gotcha, Yeah I was gonna say as it'll be the Main Summer Daily, probably not the best idea.
If anyone has suggestions for me Lmk.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Do the 1157's have dual elements like the incandescent bulbs? Do they work as running/brake/turn signal lights like our cars use? I ask because when LED's were new I bought some very expensive 1157 bulbs that did not work right.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor