LED Dome light???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I was thinking about this the other night: I am missing my plastic piece that hods the two contacts apart for the dome light housing, so why not make an LED array to replace the bulb? This came to me when I looked at the LED lights in my Olds Intrigue rear view mirror. They are yellow and green LEDs and give off a really cool, subtle lighting effect. They also do a fade out instead of turning off instantly. I am wondering though, how would I wire my LEDs to work with my car's electrical system? Do I need a transformer or resistors to do it? Can I make it fade slowly too? I have some blue and green LEDs that I picked up for $1 a bag off E-Bay, but I have no idea how to properly wire them. (I will likely buy some yellow and orange to add to the mix too!) Any help is appreciated. I am not positive I will do this, but it does sound like a fun alternative to the normal.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I can't help with the wiring, but I may be able to help with the fading lights. I believe GM uses some type of control module to do that. You may be able to get one and make it work with your car.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
For the wiring, I found this site that explains the way you have to wire them :http://www.theledlight.com/ledcircuits.html. I also ordered 2 prototyping boards and 2 more packs of LEDs off E-Bay for a total of $7. If you add in the other two packs I already have, that puts the grand total at $10 for my experiment. I'll know in a week or two if this is gonna work because that is how long the shipping will take from Hong Kong. Will it all work in the end? Your guess is as good as mine. I have no real experience with electronics. I just figure that I am probably just as smart as anyone else who messes with it, so I can probably figure it all out just as easily. I also found that you can get LED bulbs shaped like the standard dome light bulb on E-Bay for $1, including shipping. However, I am missing the plastic terminal separator/holder thingie on my car, and this gives me an excuse to experiment.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
there is a place that makes REALLY good but expencive leds for all lights for most cars. v-leds.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor