LED head light Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkwb100

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 7, 2019
Sugar Land, Texas
I purchased a set of four really cool looking black LED headlights on EBAY: three modes each: running lights, low & high beams. But they came as "plug and play" … not so much.
My 1987 El Camino has a three prong female plug for the high beams and a two prong plug for the low beams. Even using only the three prong plug, the lamp did not light up.
I have read that a resistor may be required because the LEDs use less electricity. Are there adapters for the plugs (the lamps are all three plug)?
The vendor has not been very helpful, no instructions, no support and no assistance for install at all. Has anyone done this swap and can help?

Ha

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The hi/low on a 4 light set up has the wires pinned different than the on the 2 light set up & that LED hi/low would be set up for a 2 light plug. Swap in this order-black will become light green, light green will become tan, tan will become black. You'll need a very small flat head screw driver or one of those tools design to depress the lock tang on the wire end in the plug.

Clarkwb100

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 7, 2019
Sugar Land, Texas
The hi/low on a 4 light set up has the wires pinned different than the on the 2 light set up & that LED hi/low would be set up for a 2 light plug. Swap in this order-black will become light green, light green will become tan, tan will become black. You'll need a very small flat head screw driver or one of those tools design to depress the lock tang on the wire end in the plug.
Thanks -- I'm headed to the garage to give it a try.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Figures... At least you got your money back. I have the high dollar Eagle LED's on the GN. They look good, work good ( plug n play ), but they are not cheap. Do you ever go to Otto's on Sat. nights?

corkatoa

Burger Flipper
Jul 6, 2013
Creston, BC, Canada
I just got a set of $20 led headlights to use up a credit. Was surprised by the metal body but unimpressed with the plastic lens. But when I plugged them in to the brights (after bending one tab out of the way) I was very impressed by the lights. Look good and bright as a ****. Another set on the way. For 40 total I think it a cheap way to at the least give a cool look even when off and the fact they actually work is a bonus. :cool:
1559274938648132369908.jpg
15592750225391324921265.jpg

Clarkwb100

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 7, 2019
Sugar Land, Texas
Figures... At least you got your money back. I have the high dollar Eagle LED's on the GN. They look good, work good ( plug n play ), but they are not cheap. Do you ever go to Otto's on Sat. nights?
Thanks for the reply. Been to Otto's a couple times, Halloween Show & the El Camino night a few weeks ago. I'll keep my eyes open for your GN next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor