Led lighting ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertscova

Greasemonkey
Jun 27, 2015
I put led running, turn and brake lights in my 79 malibu. I didnt use the load resistors. Im not getting the hyper flash but the turn indicators on the dash are staying light i assume its doing this to indicate a burnt out light. Can i wire the load resistors to the running light side of the bulds. Im not sure if the load resistors are ment for continuous use

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Just buy an LED flasher for the turn signal and hazard relay spots on the fuse block and be done with it. That's what I did

Reactions: 1 users

bertscova

Greasemonkey
Jun 27, 2015
The turn indicator on the dash will blink when the turn or 4 way are on. But when the turn or 4 ways are not being used the turn indicators on the dash stay on solid and dont blink. the actual bulds ( front turn and rear brake light and running lights) all work as they should

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
If you look at the wiring diagram this is a side effect of putting a diode (LED) in place of a regular light bulb. Normally, when the headlights are on (and I'm assuming now yours are on all the time since the term running lights was thrown out there) with a regular bulb there are two voltages from opposite sides canceling each other out, so they stay dark unless the signal is on. With the diode, only one of those voltages is seen by the diode so they stay lit all the time. My Cutlass does this when the headlights are on after I switched to all LEDs. I know why it does it I'm just too lazy to fix it right now. The only way to fix this would be to use some sort of bidirectional LED (I think they exist) or otherwise modify the turn signal circuit.

As for the LED/solid state flashers, there are two different kinds, one with a ground and one without. In my cutlass, I had to use the grounded one for the hazards (on the fuse block) and the inline for the turn signals (up behind the radio sort of) ... The only way it works. YMMV.

bertscova

Greasemonkey
Jun 27, 2015
Gp403 your answer may solve the problem but im going to explain it again in a different manner.
When the lights are off ( all lights headlamps. Running lights ect. Headlight switch in the off position.) Dash indicator is off aswell. Everything works as it should blinkers blink. Brake lights light when i hit the brake. And the dash indicator blinks when engaged and go out when not engaged. All good with the headlight switch in the off position. When i turn one the lights all the lights continue to work as they should. With one side effect.. on the dash inside the car. the dash indicator lights stay lite solid unless the turn signal is engaged they will blink when engaged and go back to solid on when not engaged.. so inside car on the dash if i turn left the left turn signal will blink and the right stays lite solid. When i turn off the left turn signal the left indicator on the dash stops blinking and stays lite solid

Last edited:

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
It's a ground (or lackthereof). Are the parking lights working? I had the same problem with conventional bulbs, and the ground on the 1157 socket was bad.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Gp403 your answer may solve the problem but im going to explain it again in a different manner.
When the lights are off ( all lights headlamps. Running lights ect. Headlight switch in the off position.) Dash indicator is off aswell. Everything works as it should blinkers blink. Brake lights light when i hit the brake. And the dash indicator blinks when engaged and go out when not engaged. All good with the headlight switch in the off position. When i turn one the lights all the lights continue to work as they should. With one side effect.. on the dash inside the car. the dash indicator lights stay lite solid unless the turn signal is engaged they will blink when engaged and go back to solid on when not engaged.. so inside car on the dash if i turn left the left turn signal will blink and the right stays lite solid. When i turn off the left turn signal the left indicator on the dash stops blinking and stays lite solid

yep. exactly.

bertscova

Greasemonkey
Jun 27, 2015
The tail light sockets were full of some sticky clay like stuff. Not sure what it was. And the new led buld didnt work untill i cleaned them out. Ive have 4 new sockets to replace them with. Maybe when i wire in the new sockets i will wire a dedicated ground wire in aswell

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor