Lets talk drop spindles and coil springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevyfanaddict

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 8, 2014
So im finally getting around to rebuilding and updating the suspension and steering on my 78 Malibu. I bought all new Moog steering components except for the steering box itself. New upper/lower ball joints, center link, inner/outer tie rod ends, idler arm, and energy suspension front control arm poly bushings. I was wondering if i should replace the front coil springs while im at it and what would you guys suggest? Moog? I m looking for something in stock height because i also have some new Belltech 2" drop spindles (part# 2100) to install as well. Also planning on new front shocks but havent decided what to run there either? Was thinking something from either KYB or Bilstiens but they are kinda pricey. Any suggestions there?

I the car is my daily driver and i want to improve handling and drivability on the street and some spirited back roads twisties here and there but i dont really plan on doing much autoX or racing.

I also want to ask a quick question about my drop spindles. I was going through another thread and somebody had said that drip spindles wont lower the car at all and cause adverse effects on suspension geometry and the they referenced some AFX spindles that cost $1000! Well that aint going to happen no way no how! So maybe could somebody please elaborate on why my new Belltech drop spindles arent going to do what they're intended to do???

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
I can't help you with the springs and shocks since I went with coilovers, but I did the same basic rebuild including belltech 2 inch drop spindles and they do indeed lower the front of the car. That's the whole point of a drop spindle; to lower a car by actually just moving the wheel higher up into the wheel well, instead of changing the geometry with a smaller spring. There should never be an instance where the car isn't lowered if the same height spring is being used during the swap.
From what I've heard, the AFX spindles are supposed to be a "miracle spindle" that fixes everything "wrong" with a stock g-body. ("wrong" is subjective here.) It fixes things like bump-steer, camber curve, etc. (Things maybe you never even knew about until you read about them.) If you've got the money (and a new style of front brakes i.i.r.c.) and you want absolute maximum efficiency and performance for your "pro-touring" car, then sure. But if you just want the car lowered while still being able to use a road friendly spring, drop spindles are fine.
I've driven and raced my car long distances since the rebuild and it drives just fine.

Chevyfanaddict

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 8, 2014
307 Regal said:
I can't help you with the springs and shocks since I went with coilovers, but I did the same basic rebuild including belltech 2 inch drop spindles and they do indeed lower the front of the car. That's the whole point of a drop spindle; to lower a car by actually just moving the wheel higher up into the wheel well, instead of changing the geometry with a smaller spring. There should never be an instance where the car isn't lowered if the same height spring is being used during the swap.
From what I've heard, the AFX spindles are supposed to be a "miracle spindle" that fixes everything "wrong" with a stock g-body. ("wrong" is subjective here.) It fixes things like bump-steer, camber curve, etc. (Things maybe you never even knew about until you read about them.) If you've got the money (and a new style of front brakes i.i.r.c.) and you want absolute maximum efficiency and performance for your "pro-touring" car, then sure. But if you just want the car lowered while still being able to use a road friendly spring, drop spindles are fine.
I've driven and raced my car long distances since the rebuild and it drives just fine.

Yeah lol im not new to drop spindles or anything, i have lowered about 5 cars now with Belltech and i think its pretty decent stuff, but i just thought it was weird what one person had to say about them.

This the quote i was refering to-

"If you want to stick with coils (not convert to coilover shocks) I had good luck with 5660 Moogs up front. They're a 590 lb S10 spring and are a little shorter than the G body spring right from the box. I ended up cutting off about 3/4 a coil to get the ride height where I wanted it. Some folks use the 5662 springs but they're about 750lb. That's a lot for a street driven car. I currently have coilovers on the car now with 700 lb springs. It's a little stiff, but I like it that way. Some folks try to use drop spindles to drop the car but unless you're using ATS AFX spindles , most drop spindles don't do anything to help correct geometry, sometimes make it worse, and they sometimes cause wheel clearance issues with wider wheels. Unless you use the ATS' you might find it better to drop the car simply by using the shoirter springs and cutting them as needed. A tall lower ball joint will help keep the bumpsteer to a minimum. I run a tall upper ball joint too for a better camber curve."

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
This the quote i was refering to-

"... Some folks try to use drop spindles to drop the car but unless you're using ATS AFX spindles , most drop spindles don't do anything to help correct geometry, sometimes make it worse, and they sometimes cause wheel clearance issues with wider wheels. ..."

Actually that info seems to be about on point. I think you just misread the "most drop spindles don't do anything" part. I still don't really see the "make it worse" part (unless that's maybe steering related, but even so...). Wheel clearance I can understand though. It can cut down on your turning radius if the wheel well isn't already doing that. I think he just meant they do work for lowering but just don't do anything for geometry. As far as what he said for ball joints, a tall upper is a good idea for a better camber curve. That way you'll have less of this:

Attachments

• CC.jpg
    CC.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 1,060

Chevyfanaddict

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 8, 2014
Yeah i guess after i re-read it it made a little more sense. So im still wondering if i should still replace the front springs along with the rest of the steering and suspension stuff im doing and after going through a couple threads i think i might be leaning toward the Bilstien shocks now

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor