Lets Try this again: Cutlass Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sodee

Greasemonkey
Feb 1, 2018
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I really wanted to start this thread to document my progress, no matter how fast or slow I end up going with this thing. Previously, I started a thread for my 78 and 79 Monte Carlo project cars that I planned to make into one car (https://gbodyforum.com/threads/rileys-78-monte-carlo-rolling-the-dice.66909/) but that proved to be pretty much a disaster. Somewhere between the SBC 350 that had a cracked block and heads, and the rust I found under the chrome windshield cover + the rear window, I just completely lost interest and decided to let my 78 go to someone interested in taking on that project and basically gave the 79 away.

So I sat for a while without a Gbody and honestly, it was killing me because I got a little taste of being able to drive one.. So on the hunt I went to find another. This time, I wanted to do something different with a different direction. After careful planning, searching, dodging scams and getting ghosted, I finally found a Cutlass 2 hours away that was in better shape than most I had seen and had a title. Granted, it wasnt running, but the v6 was only there to make sure the car drove decently well before tearing it apart. So I drove up, checked it out. It looked like a battery exploded under the hood -- Acid was literally everywhere.

Attachments

• n2lfSp5 - Imgur.jpg
    n2lfSp5 - Imgur.jpg
    824.4 KB · Views: 468
  • Cutlass1.jpg
    Cutlass1.jpg
    1,007.3 KB · Views: 418
  • Supreme.jpg
    Supreme.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 396
  • IMG_2232.jpg
    IMG_2232.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 422
Reactions: 1 users

Sodee

Greasemonkey
Feb 1, 2018
Seats didnt match, carpet was faded, didnt like the center console, but the body looked pretty solid. The rest of the stuff isnt really important as they wont last long in the car anyways. The body panels lined up pretty well.. someone had planned to paint this and just didnt get to it. I went around it with a magnet and I was satisfied. $850 later, it was coming home with me.

Attachments

• Home.jpg
    Home.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 325
Reactions: 3 users

Sodee

Greasemonkey
Feb 1, 2018
So getting this thing home, I decided immediately what I wanted to do. I saw the 8F8 thread with Matt Happel going 8s for $8K, and I decided that I wanted to try to build a 10 second machine for as cheap as possible.

First, I wanted to try to do some free things-- always a fan of free: the red LED strips randomly placed all over the outside of the car had to go, and so did the alarm, and that console. I ripped out a lot of the random wiring that was all over the place, likely from a past audio setup and threw all of that in a box to be used maybe later. I also had some cheap 6x9s laying around from a Honda I had a while back so I threw those in just to have music with some adapters that i found in a box somewhere around the house. Music problem fixed.

Attachments

• IMG_6153.jpg
    IMG_6153.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 340
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 user

Sodee

Greasemonkey
Feb 1, 2018
That’s a solid deal, especially with a title.
How is the frame looking on it?

Actually really good.. little bit of surface rust, but otherwise fine. Best part, its my birth year (85) so that's an added bonus. Floors need some love, but they're not awful.

Reactions: 2 users

Sodee

Greasemonkey
Feb 1, 2018
I got a pressure washer, and basically a cheap plastic suit and went to work on the engine bay. I got a lot of the acid out of the bay, and neutralized it, then pressure washed it again. I got a lot of it cleaned, but knew that I would never get it all out so I just did the best I could lol. I got bored it it sitting around and started diagnosing. With crap i had around from my failed 350 build, I narrowed the issue down to the distributor. $30 later, my car was running and driving. Not super well, the electronic choke 2 barrel carbs arent very good.. But good enough to drive around so I was happy.

I know a lot of people really, really hate the 3.8s and say they're underpowered. Having driven a 1.6L Honda Civic around throughout college, I honestly didnt mind it. Plus, I had another daily that was a little quicker should I feel the need to go a little faster.

Attachments

• IMG_3547 copy.jpg
    IMG_3547 copy.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 349

Sodee

Greasemonkey
Feb 1, 2018
I pulled the 14s off and threw on the 17" wheels from the Monte and couldnt be happier. Im sure the 3.8 and 200 trans didnt care for the 275s in the back but whatever lol... I was just happy to get it running and drove it like that for about 5 months. Not being able to merge quickly onto the highway, random issues with it tossing the alternator belt off and overheating, sketchy steering above 65 because of the rag joint.. but I enjoyed just being able to drive it.

While I was driving it around, I started making a build list and planning how I would make my goal. So finally, after switching jobs, I decided enough was enough... I sold the Subaru, bought another more "practical" daily, and decided to get more serious. I had been eyeing a specific junkyard that i knew would produce what I wanted, and I finally found it and it was time for the 3.8 to go.

Attachments

• IMG_5109.jpg
    IMG_5109.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Sodee

Greasemonkey
Feb 1, 2018
A flex fuel Z-vin Tahoe had hit a yard that was 2 hours from me and I wanted to go check it out. I needed flex fuel capabilities for future fun.

I made the trip, and sure enough, its L59 wasnt picked over so it was a go. After fighting with it for a few hours (never pulled an LS engine before), it gave up the engine. Left the 4L60e, wasnt interested in it, but grabbed pedal and Tac Module, flex fuel sensor, computer and a few other goodies for $400. Took it home and started playing with the wiring and some paint...

I knew that I wanted to be able to add stuff later, so I went a different route than the small fuse box that they recommend on LT1swap.com. Great write up, but I wanted more flexibility. Heated seats, stupid accessories, nitrous, whatever.. I wanted things to be easy whatever I wanted to add.

Attachments

• IMG_4732.jpg
    IMG_4732.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 359
  • g 73NVA.jpg
    g 73NVA.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 398
  • IMG_5319.jpg
    IMG_5319.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 349
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
That’s a steal for a flex fuel ready engine.
What’s the plans for performance? Cam? Turbo(s)?

Reactions: 1 user

Sodee

Greasemonkey
Feb 1, 2018
Built my own bench harness and used LS Droid to remove the Vats and make a few other adjustments in the computer.. Wired it up and got a first start, on the 29th day of my 30 day warranty lol. It wont pass any OSHA inspections but needless to say, it works well.

Attachments

• IMG_5108.jpg
    IMG_5108.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 310
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor