Lexan in Wagon rear doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

nawlins-tim

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2009
New Orleans, LA USA
I'm always thinking of ways to lighten my wagon. And I was wondering if any wagon guys think that I can replace the glass with lexan ( without any serious mods). The rear door glass in our wagons has a slight curve and that is where I'm unsure if this swap is doable. What do you think?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It can be done but the noise with the lexan window is like having your window open

Reactions: 1 user

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
If the door has an upper window track it is a fairly easy modification especially if you don't need the window to go up and down. When you don't have an upper track it requires a frame to be built for the lexan. The one issue that you may have is the window will not have the factory green tint of the soft ray glass. Its not super obvious unless you look for it.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I'd be curious what the weight savings is. Having handled wagon rear glass recently, I don't know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I honestly wouldn't bother unless it was an all out race car. I don't think it;s worth the hassle, although easy enough to do. The Lexan would flex with the curve of the window channel.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Whatever floats your boat.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It All adds up tho!!!

I'm not sure what your end goal is but a G body is front end heavy to begin with which hurts the vehicle when it comes to handling. When we had our G body on the scales we had a heck of a time trying to improve the weight bias and it was impossible to have the car at the minimum weight. We had lbs of lead in the back trying to get the car to rotate the corners

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Wagons do make great drag cars, though. Probably due to a better weight transfer/ distribution.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor