Lift kit options and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kender

n00b
Oct 4, 2020
Trying to do my research and I have looked all around for info but it is limited for what I am wanting to do.

I have a 1980 El Camino that I would like to lift and make it look more like a truck. I plan on a dark gray paint and blacking out all the chrome. So wheel, tires, ride height need to go with the theme... think Mad Max but daily driven. I am also doing an LS swap. I am thinking about 17inch rims with 245-60r17 tires. I still have to see if there would be rubbing when turning but the circumference should be fine inside the wheel well. It looks like I need about an 8-10" lift to get the look I want. It looks like Universal car lifts is about the only ones with a lift kit for the gbody cars. I won't be racing and this is a daily driver but I do want some good power when I need to step on it to get around in traffic. Is the Universal kit a good brand? It appears to have everything needed. What are the cons to this kind of lift. I currently drive a 05 ram 1500 with 6inch lift so I am not new to riding high just riding high in a gbody. Thanks for any help and advice.

Kender

n00b
Oct 4, 2020
The frame swaps I have seen are a lot more chopping and welding than I wanted to go for. The S10 frame is the best match for wheelbase but that's about it, at least from what I have found so far. Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to doing a frame swap I just don't have the welding skills nor the tools to do it all myself. The expense is already going to be a big thing on this project.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
There are kits available mainly for lifting Gbodys to put big wheels under. I think the most common would be the universal car lifts ones or the liftabrand kits. Either would do the job you were wanting. Universal is the kit i was going to get to put off road tires under an old malibu i had before i moved and looked like a nice kit.

Reactions: 1 user

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Theres plenty of DONK stuff available for these cars. Sounds like you're going for a different look but the lift parts are out there. I cant imagine ride quality would be good with 4" lift spindles though, which is where something much more custom or a frame swap would be the way to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor