Lifter bore too small?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
A friend has a small block Chevy he is building. I think S&K did the machine work. I don't know if it is a new block or used re-machined. The heads are on, crank, pistons, and cam are in, and he was putting in the solid lifters when two were too tight. One actually got stuck and would not come back out. He thinks he needs to hone the bores but everything is already put together. I did a search and the bore size is very hard to find. Best I could find was the DART page which said they were .8427- .8437". If the Chevy lifter is .842" that is only a few ten thousands clearance. Then I also read that the heating/cleaning and shot peening process can leave a sharp edge on the top and bottom of the lifter bores. The fix was to chamfer the edges .005" with a file or flex ball hone. Either way it looks like honing is the way out. Flex ball or triple stone? What is the best irrigation? Oil? WD-40? Then Brake-Kleen to flush the area? Has anyone tried this on an assembled engine? I should also mention this guy is not prone to mike-ing anything. He will just go by "feel". :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor